Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US sends first soybean shipment to Cambodia

US sends first soybean shipment to Cambodia

Combines harvest soybeans in a field at farm near Pleasantville, Iowa, on October 14, 2015. Ryan Donnell/The New York Times
Combines harvest soybeans in a field at farm near Pleasantville, Iowa, on October 14, 2015. Ryan Donnell/The New York Times

US sends first soybean shipment to Cambodia

The US sent its first shipment of food-grade soybeans to Cambodia last week, exporting a total of 14 tonnes to both Cambodia and Myanmar to be processed in the receiving countries, according to US media reports.

The shipments were sent to soy milk and tofu companies in the Kingdom, potentially opening up a long-term relationship between the US and Cambodian-based soy companies, according to a report from US-based American Ag Radio Network.

Hean Vanhan, director general at the Agriculture Ministry’s General Directorate, said he was unaware of the shipment and did not know which Cambodia-based processing companies were receiving the beans, but added the move as a positive one for the country’s economy.

“Our economy will likely benefit from this,” Vanhan said. “The best way is to use the raw materials produced in the country, but if the cost of production is higher for local produce, then it is better to import.”
Local soybean producers have been suffering due to high processing costs and low profitability for several years now, according to farmer Loeng Kim Sean, who once headed the Tah Ong Soybean Development Association in Kampong Cham province.

The association was dissolved a year ago, Kim Sean said yesterday, as he and other farmers switched from soybeans to produce more profitable crops, such as cashews or cassava.
“Farmers gave up farming soybeans because the prices are too low for them to make a profit,” he said, adding that there were no remaining soybean farmers in the province.

“I could not give a better price to the farmer due to a lot of competition in the market from soybean imports…so we are better off looking for other potential crops instead.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year