Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vietnam inks dam pact

Vietnam inks dam pact

Vietnam inks dam pact

THE Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy signed a memorandum of understanding last week with a Vietnamese state-owned corporation to complete a feasibility study into a potential 980-megawatt hydroelectricity dam in Stung Treng province, Ministry Deputy Director General Victor Zona said Sunday. The study, to be conducted by Vietnam Urban and Industrial Zone Development Investment Corporation would last two years. Eventually a green light would be required from the Ministry of Industry, the Ministry of the Environment and the Mekong River Commission, he said. “If one of these three institutions opposes the project, it will not go ahead.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not