Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - We’re going to Wisney World!

We’re going to Wisney World!

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The capital’s Koh Pich on Wednesday was the site of the inauguration ceremony for a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project dubbed Wisney World. Heng Chivoan

We’re going to Wisney World!

More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday.

The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and Malaysian company SV International.

According to a statement from the companies, the project will be developed on a 65-hectare plot in the southern coastal town and will include water parks, hotels, casinos, malls, gardens and churches.

AMC and SV claim they have been operating a hotel and casino in Sihanoukville; however neither of their websites reveal the name of this establishment.

The Wisney World project is operating as a joint venture under the name Wisney Resort City Development Co Ltd (WRCD).

Deputy Prime Minister Men Sam An said that currently Sihanouk province is becoming a more popular tourist destination and is attracting international investment .

She said this new project will bring in more tourists--both foreigners and Cambodians.

“The starting of this project is the right decision because now Sihanoukville is regarded as a rising star in the south east of Cambodia,” she said, “I hope that Wisney World will fill gaps that are lacking in Sihanoukville’s entertainment sector.”

Over 1.2 million Chinese visitors came to Cambodia last year, accounting for more than 21 percent of the total 5.6 million international visitors, according to figures from the Ministry of Tourism.

Much of the investment in tourism has been focused on bringing visitors from China to the Kingdom’s coastal town of Sihanoukville.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Deputy Prime Minister Men Sam An (centre) waves at the ceremony to kick off the Wisney World project in the capital on Wednesday. Heng Chivoan

However, Sihanouk provincial governer, Yun Min said he don’t know of any huge project like this in his province.

“I don’t know about this project,” he said.

Sorn Seap, director of Phnom Penh’s Key Real Estate, claimed that he also wasn’t aware of the project, but said Sihanoukville holds potential for success.

“I know that the companies from China have a lot of money,” he said, “but such expensive projects, there must be strong support from the international market to be successful.”

As the beach town changes and the government welcomes the surge in development spending, many local owners have asserted that Chinese investment has created a closed loop with few new opportunities for Cambodians, forcing locals out of any potential economic gain.

Many local business owners have expressed worry that they will be edged out by the influx of Chinese investment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants