Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - WING gets A$1.5m grant from Australia

WING gets A$1.5m grant from Australia

WING gets A$1.5m grant from Australia

Money to be used for rural expansion project of mobile service

THE Australian government gave a A$1.5 million (US$975,000) grant Wednesday to WING, a mobile payment service and a wholly owned subsidiary of the Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ), through its Enterprise Challenge Fund.

This grant will help support financial literacy, increase income opportunities and provide millions of dollars worth of savings for Cambodians living in rural areas, said Margaret Adamson, Australia's ambassador to Cambodia.

"With this grant, WING will be able to extend its service to rural areas where it would otherwise not have operated," Adamson said.  

"Wing will provide approximately 8 million rural Cambodians with the opportunity to access affordable and convenient payment services."

Brad Jones, managing director of WING, said that WING is available across 17 provinces and hopes to continue its expansion with the Australian grant.

"We will use this grant to extend our services to Laos and other Cambodian rural areas," Jones said.

According to Adamson, WING's technology has the potential to save 100,000 rural Cambodians $3 million in transaction costs when the mobile money transfer technology is used instead of traditional methods of transferring cash, often by taxi.

Currently, Wing has around 200 "Cash X-press" agencies, 120 of which are in Phnom Penh.

Earlier this month, WING partnered with mobile operator Hello.

It is also currently in discussion with other telecommunications companies to extend its services across multiple networks.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will