Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half of this year, down more than eight per cent compared to the same period last year, as ticket sales declined nine per cent to about $55 million, according to a Xinhua News Agency report. Heng Chivoan

‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them.

Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half of this year, down more than eight per cent compared to the same period last year, as ticket sales declined nine per cent to about $55 million, a Xinhua News Agency report said.

During the closing ceremony of last week’s Siem Reap Tourism Master Plan Workshop, Khon said “zero-dollar” tour operators are “destroyers of tourist destinations in Siem Reap province”.

“Why were tourists in Siem Reap province down these six months? There are many factors, but one factor that we found is because of the zero cost tours."

“Zero-dollar tour operators . . . give tours without taking a profit, but they bring guests to places charging exorbitant prices on souvenirs, food and accommodations and then take commissions,” said Khon.

South Korean tourists, who used to be on top of the list of the Kingdom’s tourist arrivals, have turned to Vietnam, as it has launched new tourism policies attractive to foreign visitors, according to Khon.

Cambodia Association of Travel Agents adviser Hor Vandy said the “zero-dollar” tours have upset foreigners.

He said that due to the sale of such low-cost packages, operators force visitors to buy low-quality goods at high prices and then guide them to places such as expensive shops and casinos.

“The consequence is that after the tourists return to their countries, they will say bad things about Cambodia – that it does business by selling fake products at high prices,” he said.

Pacific Asia Travel Association president Thourn Sinan said “zero-dollar” tour operators have been working in Cambodia for more than 10 years but were not entirely to blame for the drop in the number of tourists.

“I think that the zero-dollar tours really have a negative impact on the tourism sector, but is not the entire reason for the decrease in tourists to Siem Reap province,” said Sinan.

He said the Kingdom must diversify its tourism destinations to achieve the goal of receiving seven million foreign tourists this year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese