Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beijing: US’ Microsoft hack claims ‘fabricated’



Beijing: US’ Microsoft hack claims ‘fabricated’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man looks at his phone while outside Microsoft’s local headquarters in Beijing on July 20, 2021, the day after the US accused Beijing of carrying out the cyber attack on Microsoft and charged four Chinese nationals over the “malicious” hack in March. AFP

Beijing: US’ Microsoft hack claims ‘fabricated’

China on July 20 said the US had “fabricated” allegations it carried out a massive Microsoft hack, countering that Washington was the “world champion” of cyberattacks while chiding US allies for signing up to a rare joint statement of condemnation.

The US on July 19 accused Beijing of carrying out the March cyberattack on Microsoft Exchange, a top email server for corporations around the world, and charged four Chinese nationals over the “malicious” hack.

President Joe Biden told reporters that the US was still completing an investigation before taking any countermeasures. “The Chinese government, not unlike the Russian government, is not doing this themselves, but are protecting those who are doing it, and maybe even accommodating them being able to do it,” he said.

The US coordinated its statement on July 19 with allies – the EU, Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan and NATO.

Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters in Beijing: “The US has mustered its allies to carry out unreasonable criticisms against China on the issue of cybersecurity … This move is fabricated out of nothing.”

The Chinese embassy in New Zealand called the allegations “totally groundless and irresponsible” while the embassy in Australia accused Canberra of “parroting the rhetoric of the US”.

“It is well known that the US has engaged in unscrupulous, massive and indiscriminate eavesdropping on many countries including its allies,” the embassy said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four