Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Biden’s US State pick to review Yemen Huthi terrorist label, axe Saudi support



Biden’s US State pick to review Yemen Huthi terrorist label, axe Saudi support

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
One day before being inaugurated as the 46th president of the US, President-elect Joe Biden delivers remarks at the Major Joseph R ‘Beau’ Biden III National Guard/Reserve Center on Tuesday in New Castle, Delaware. GETTY IMAGES/AFP

Biden’s US State pick to review Yemen Huthi terrorist label, axe Saudi support

US President-elect Joe Biden’s administration will quickly revisit the designation of Yemen’s Huthi rebels as terrorists and end support to the devastating Saudi offensive on the country, his pick for secretary of state, Antony Blinken, said on January 19.

At his confirmation hearing, Blinken said he would “immediately” review the outgoing Trump administration’s labelling of the Iranian-linked insurgents, fearing the move was worsening a humanitarian crisis.

He told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee: “At least on its surface, [the designation] seems to achieve nothing particularly practical in advancing the efforts against the Huthis and to bring them back to the negotiating table while making it even more difficult than it already is to provide humanitarian assistance to people who desperately need it.”

Donald Trump’s administration announced the move on January 11, nine days before Biden takes over on January 20.

Trump has been a staunch ally of Saudi Arabia, offering US logistical help and military sales for its more than six-year campaign to dislodge the rebels who have taken over much of the country.

Blinken said the Saudis have “contributed to what is by most accounts the worst humanitarian situation anywhere in the world.

“The Huthis bear significant responsibility for what’s happened in Yemen, but the way the campaign has been conducted has also contributed significantly to that situation. And so our support should end,” he said.

Warnings from Huthis

The UN and aid groups have warned the terrorist designation risks worsening the plight of a country where millions depend on aid to survive.

The designation took effect on January 19, with the Huthis warning they would respond to any action against them.

They said in a statement: “We are ready to take all necessary measures against any hostile act.”

The designation is expected to halt many transactions with Huthi authorities, including bank transfers and payments to medical personnel and for food and fuel, due to fears of US prosecution.

Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres, called on the US to reverse the move.

He said: “Our position on this has not changed . . . We call on the government to reverse that decision.

“Our concern from the beginning, that we expressed very clearly, is the impact on the commercial sector.

“The vast majority of food and other basic supplies that comes into Yemen comes in through the commercial sector.”

Outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in announcing the designation, pointed to an attack on the airport on Yemen’s second city Aden late last month that apparently targeted the country’s new government. A

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting