Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boeing: 737 Max return delayed until mid-year




Boeing: 737 Max return delayed until mid-year

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Boeing halted production of the top-selling 737 MAX aircraft, and the return to the skies has been delayed repeatedly. AFP

Boeing: 737 Max return delayed until mid-year

Boeing on Tuesday officially pushed back the timeframe for the 737 Max to return to the skies, sending shares plunging and overshadowing an earlier announcement of a first flight of the delayed 777X plane.

Boeing said it is now targeting the return of the grounded Max “during mid-2020”, the latest delay in the schedule for the troubled jet, which has been grounded since March following two deadly crashes.

Boeing has told customers and suppliers “that we are currently estimating that the ungrounding of the 737 Max will begin during mid-2020”, the company said in a statement.

That marked a shift from Boeing’s most recent stance on its top-selling aircraft when it eliminated a target date after repeatedly failing to keep to timetables last year.

But even the vague mid-2020 target is later than some analysts had expected and it probably represents a best-case scenario that could again be pushed back.

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) had publicly criticised Boeing for continually touting its aggressive timeframe in public for the Max’s return, suggesting the target was a tool for pressuring the agency into approving the plane more quickly.

On Tuesday, an FAA spokesman reiterated that it has set “no timeframe” for the Max’s certification.

“We continue to work with other safety regulators to review Boeing’s work as the company conducts the required safety assessments and addresses all issues that arise during testing,” the FAA said.

The Max statement overshadowed an earlier announcement that the 777X would undertake its first flight on Thursday, progress for a key wide-body jet that has itself been delayed for different reasons.

That trial run is scheduled for Thursday at 1800 GMT, although “flight testing is dynamic, and the date could change due to weather and other factors”, Boeing said.

The 777X flight initially had been planned for summer 2019 but was shifted back due to several issues, including with a new engine built by General Electric.

There have been 340 orders for the 777X, mostly from giants such as Emirates, Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Qatar Airways. The plane is a rival option to the Airbus A350.

If all goes well with the first flight, Boeing will then submit documents to the FAA as part of the formal certification process, which includes a test flight.

Boeing is now pointing to early 2021 for first commercial deliveries of the plane, months later than the mid-2020 timeframe previously targeted.

Development of the long-range aircraft, which can carry between 384 and 426 passengers, hit a snag in September when the fuselage of the plane split during a stress test.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to