Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia job scam suspect freed on bail

Cambodia job scam suspect freed on bail

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Cambodia job scam suspect freed on bail

A 25-year-OLD man has been released on a total bail of 8,000 ringgit ($1,933) in four sureties by two magistrate’s courts in Kuching after he pleaded not guilty to two charges of cheating in the Cambodia job scam.

At the first magistrate’s court on Thursday, the accused, Mohd Ghafar Abd Jamal from Kampung Salak, Kuching, was charged under Section 415(b) of the Penal Code and which is punishable under Section 417 of the same code.

The offence provides for a jail sentence of up to five years or a fine or both if convicted.

Magistrate Nuruhuda Mohd Yusof, in releasing him on bail of 5,000 ringgit in two sureties, also ordered that the passport of the accused be impounded until the case was over.

At another magistrate’s court, the accused also pleaded not guilty to the charge of cheating.

He was released on a bail of 3,000 ringgit in two sureties.

Magistrate Mohd Syukri Mokhtar ordered the accused to report to the nearest police station every two weeks.

Case management has been fixed for June 13.

Mohd Ghafar was nabbed at 12:20pm on April 25 when the plane he was flying in from Pontianak, Indonesia, touched down at Kuching International Airport.

He was sought for allegedly cheating five persons in the Cambodia job scam case that saw 47 Malaysians being detained at the Banteay Meanchey provincial prison. Forty of them are from Sarawak.

The victims of the scam had applied for work in Cambodia through various social media networks between October and November last year and even transferred a deposit into a bank account.

All were released after successful negotiations between Wisma Putra and the Cambodian government and returned home on February 17.

Meanwhile, Sarawak Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) chief Supt Mustafa Kamal Gani Abdullah said police arrested six persons in the case.

Two have been charged in the court so far. The other person was 25-year-old cook, Chang Ying Shiong, who was charged under Section 415(b) of the Penal Code at the magistrate’s court in Kuching on March 12. THE STAR (malaysia)/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • App to connect farmers to millions

    The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has soft-launched a mobile app that connects farmers with potential buyers and gives them access to critical market information. The ministry’s Agriculture Marketing Office chief Meach Yady said the ‘CamAgriMarket’ app gives farmers a platform to showcase

  • Gov’t ups security to block virus

    With the new coronavirus claiming its 17th life in China, the Cambodian Ministry of Health on Thursday said it is taking measures to ensure the disease does not enter the Kingdom, including inspecting all flights from Wuhan City, the outbreak’s epicentre. Ministry secretary of