Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dane with bow and arrows kills 5 in Norway



Dane with bow and arrows kills 5 in Norway

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An arrow is seen in a wall after an attack in Kongsberg, Norway, Wednesday, Oct 13, 2021. Several people have been killed and others injured by a man armed with a bow and arrow in a town west of the Norwegian capital, Oslo. AFP

Dane with bow and arrows kills 5 in Norway

A Danish man suspected of killing five people with a bow and arrows in Norway had converted to Islam and was previously known to police over fears that he had been radicalised, officials said on October 14.

Five people were killed – four women and one man – and two others were injured on October 13 in the southeastern town of Kongsberg in Norway’s deadliest attack in a decade.

Norwegian police official Ole Bredrup Saeverud told reporters on October 14 that the 37-year-old suspect had confessed during questioning. Those who were killed during the attack were all aged 50-70.

“We are investigating among other things to determine whether this was a terrorist attack,” Saeverud added.

Reports that linked the suspect to radicalisation pre-dated this year, and police had followed up at the time, Saeverud said. “We haven’t had any reports about him in 2021, but earlier … We’re relatively sure that he acted alone.”

This was the deadliest attack in the Scandinavian country since far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people in 2011. Since then, Norway has seen one other far-right attack, carried out by a self-proclaimed neo-Nazi who opened fire into a mosque.

Denmark’s Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen reacted with “great sadness” to the “terrible attack”.

The suspect was due to go before a judge on October 15 for a custody hearing and was undergoing a psychiatric examination on October 4, the prosecutor said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia to waive quarantine requirements Nov 15, no PCR test required

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has decided to lift all quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and visitors – both Cambodians and foreign nationals – effective from November 15 onward. In a special message addressed to officials and relevant authorities on November 14, Hun Sen said this policy will enable

  • PM: No more quarantine for vaccinated travellers

    Cambodia is lifting all quarantine requirements for vaccinated inbound travellers entering Cambodia by air, waterway or land border checkpoints effective from November 15. Travellers will be required to take a rapid antigen test on arrival rather than waiting for the results of the lengthier polymerase chain

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration