Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Europe or bust’ for migrants



‘Europe or bust’ for migrants

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Migrants from Sub-Saharan Africa take shelter while hiding from the police in a forest on the southwestern outskirts of the Moroccan port city of Tangiers, on Saturday. afp

‘Europe or bust’ for migrants

For scores of African migrants, it’s a case of “Europe or bust”, no matter what Moroccan authorities throw at them in the way of detentions and being bussed hundreds of kilometres away.

“I’ll come back here even if they send me back 10 times!” insisted Achille, a 28-year-old from Cameroon determined to reach Spain across the sea from the city of Tangiers in northern Morocco.

In late September, together with his wife and two-year-old child, Achille was about to board an inflatable boat bound for Spain when they were caught in a police raid.

After four days detained in the basement of a Tangiers police station, the family was transported with other migrants by bus to Tiznit, 800km to the south.

Achille, who first made his way to Morocco in 2015 after a long and arduous journey, had previously been turned back to Casablanca.

The same has happened to thousands of migrants since Moroccan authorities last summer turned the screws and launched a relocation campaign to distance them from the north of the country or in some cases to fly them home.

‘We’re living like animals’

The authorities, listing 54,000 foiled attempts to cross to Europe between January and end of August, say the north is where human trafficking networks operate.

Despite alleged rights violations in the campaign being waged by Moroccan authorities, hundreds of migrants just keep returning to Tangiers unless they are repatriated.

“Tangiers is my town, I will only leave it for Spain,” said Achille, circled by a dozen fellow Cameroonians squatting in an out-of-the-way lot dotted with trees, some of them killing time laying down on mattresses, others watching out for police.

“We’re living like animals here,” said 35-year-old Wilfred. “These people around me are like my brothers. Today they’re Africans, tomorrow they’ll be Europeans.”

Wilfred had it better than most the last time he was arrested: he was bussed to Casablanca, 380km away, because “those who pay are sent less far off”.

He had already been deported to Tiznit and across the border to Algeria.

An anti-racist foreigners’ support group, Gadem, in mid-October condemned what it termed Morocco’s “discriminatory” policies towards migrants from sub-Saharan Africa.

Around 6,500 of them were deported between July and start of September, including 121 minors, 17 babies and 12 pregnant women, it said.

Sub-Saharan African migrants are being held at Tangiers police stations “outside any judicial framework”, Gadem said.

Authorities have launched an inquiry into the deaths of two young Malians, including a youth of 16, during a transfer operation in early March.

The relocations are defended by the authorities as aimed at distancing and protecting migrants from the gangs of smugglers in northern Morocco.

At mercy of ‘taxi mafia’

Ali, 20, knows full well that he can be caught any time but will keep trying to reach Europe.

“Only the weak give up,” he whispered. “I’m sure I will be able to reach Spain one day, and it’s that hope that gives me the strength to battle on.”

Even the return to Tangiers has its obstacles, such as bus firms in Casablanca refusing to sell tickets to migrants and leaving them at the mercy of a “taxi mafia”, according to migrants questioned by AFP.

The main point of return is the city’s Boukhalef district, which has a sizeable community of sub-Saharan Africans, many of them waiting to jump on a ramshackle boat for a perilous crossing to Europe.

Morocco, which nationals of many African states can visit without visas, has become a major gateway for sub-Saharan migrants into Europe.

More than 47,000 migrants have made it north to Spain since the start of 2018, including about 5,000 by land from two Spanish enclaves bordering Morocco, according to the International Organisation for Migration.

It says 362 migrants have died out at sea or gone missing this year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia voted ‘world’s friendliest country’ in Rough Guides reader poll

    Cambodia ranked number one among the “World’s Friendliest Countries”, according to a reader poll conducted by London-based international website “Rough Guides”. Taking submissions through Twitter and Facebook, “Rough Guides”, a well-known travel agency and publisher of guidebooks, said the Kingdom “was by far the

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The