Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Faked Philippine records left false trail for Wirecard exec




Faked Philippine records left false trail for Wirecard exec

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Wirecard filed for insolvency as it admitted that 1.9 billion euros missing from its accounts likely did not exist. AFP

Faked Philippine records left false trail for Wirecard exec

Philippine immigration officers falsified records to show ex-Wirecard AG executive Jan Marsalek briefly visited the country after he was sacked from the collapsed German payments processor, Secretary of Justice Menardo “Boy” Ilasco Guevarra said on Saturday.

German and Philippine authorities want to question the former chief operating officer as part of their separate investigations into the Wirecard accounting scandal, but his whereabouts are unclear.

Entries in the Bureau of Immigration database show Marsalek arrived in the Philippines on June 23 – the day after he was fired – and left for China on June 24.

But Guevarra said in a statement CCTV footage, airline manifests and other records prove Marsalek was not in the country on those dates.

“The investigation has now turned to the persons who made the false entries in the database, their motives, and their cohorts,” he said.

The immigration employees have been stood down and face punishment, he said. Investigators were also looking into “possible criminal responsibility” for the fake entries.

Guevarra told reporters last month that immigration records showing Marsalek’s transit through the Philippine city of Cebu could be part of “diversionary tactics to mislead Marsalek’s pursuers”.

Marsalek was responsible for the Asia business that became the focus of accounting irregularities – including a missing €1.9 billion ($2.1 billion) supposedly banked in the Philippines – that ultimately brought Wirecard down.

Wirecard has filed for insolvency and admitted that the €1.9 billion likely did not exist.

Marsalek failed to turn himself in to Munich investigators despite a reported earlier promise to do so.

Wirecard’s former CEO and founder Markus Braun was bailed for €5 million last week after reporting to prosecutors over charges of falsifying accounts.

The assets supposedly held in trust accounts at two Philippine banks were to cover risks in trading carried out by third parties on Wirecard’s behalf.

But Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas – the Philippines’ central bank – said the cash never entered the country’s financial system and both banks, BDO Unibank Inc (commonly known as Banco de Oro) and Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), have denied having a relationship with Wirecard.

As part of the Philippine probe, Guevarra said Manila-based lawyer Mark Tolentino, the trustee of the Wirecard deposits, gave a statement to investigators on Monday.

He said: “Tolentino said he was hired by his principal early this year to provide consultancy services.

“He said he’s receiving death threats.”

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.