Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Filipino ‘suicide bomber’ behind last month’s attack

Filipino ‘suicide bomber’ behind last month’s attack

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The attack last month killed three soldiers and two civilians. AFP

Filipino ‘suicide bomber’ behind last month’s attack

Philippine security forces confirmed on Wednesday that at least one Filipino “suicide bomber” was behind a deadly attack last month, in a first for the Asian country.

Norman Lasuca and one other yet to be identified suspect blew themselves up outside a military camp on the remote southern island of Jolo on June 28 in an attack that also killed three soldiers and two civilians, the police and military said.

“We can now confirm . . . the incidence of the first suicide bombing in the Philippines, perpetrated by a Filipino in the person of Norman Lasuca,” military spokesman Brigadier General Edgard Arevalo told a news conference.

The Jolo bombing marks a worrying escalation of militancy driven by the influence of the Islamic State (IS) group in Southeast Asia, security experts said earlier.

A decades-old Islamist insurgency in the southern Philippines has killed tens of thousands.

But suicide attacks have been used extremely rarely, with foreign fighters blamed for the few that have been carried out.

National police spokesman Bernard Banac described last month’s bombing as “a locally initiated attack organised by the Abu Sayyaf group”, a Jolo-based gang of militants engaged in kidnappings and bombings.

“The report as claimed by Isis that they are the ones responsible for this is still up to validation and that remains to be seen,” he told reporters, referring to IS by an alternative name.

Philippine authorities said the two suspected Jolo bombers’ remains were tested for DNA, and one matched that of Lasuca’s mother and brother, who are both Tausugs, the predominant Muslim ethnic group in Jolo.

Experts are still attempting to identify the second bomber, Banac said.

“Before, we only heard of IED [improvised explosive device] attacks, remote-controlled attacks but this time an individual blew himself up as a full-fledged suicide bomber,” Arevalo said.

“We [security forces] will have adjustments in techniques, tactics and procedures given this development,” he said.

“We consider this to be an isolated case,” he added.

However, he acknowledged that “the security environment in our country has changed” and civilians should help the security forces combat the new threat.

They must ensure prospective recruits “won’t be radicalised by terrorist groups [who are] only waiting for the right time and individual to bring to the road of extremism”, he said.

Arevalo said Lasuca’s mother described the son, in his early twenties, as a former “battered” child who endured beatings meted out by his father.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville to begin road project

    The government will spend $200 million to improve Sihanoukville’s infrastructure. The eight-month project will involve the rebuilding of 34 streets with a total of more than 84km. Pal Chandara, the secretary of state and spokesman for the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, told The Post

  • Artefact is seized from American auctioneers

    Cambodian and US archaeologists on Thursday discussed the formalities and procedures of returning to Cambodia an artefact which was recently seized by US Homeland Security Investigators (HSI) from an auction house in San Francisco. On Monday, the HSI said US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE),

  • Bodhisattva statue unearthed

    The Apsara National Authority technical team uncovered a sandstone statue of a Bodhisattva while carrying out excavation work at the east entrance of the Ta Nei temple on October 8. The team was trying to find the temple’s roof stone, which had fallen into a

  • World Bank: Challenges facing the Kingdom

    Cambodia’s economy currently faces challenges including credit growth in the construction and real estate sectors, rising indebtedness and the possible withdrawal of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement, said the World Bank Group’s latest forecast report on the Asia-Pacific economies. The