Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Filipinos benefit from drug war deaths, Duterte says



Filipinos benefit from drug war deaths, Duterte says

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte speaks during the annual state of the nation address at the House of Representatives in Manila last month. AFP

Filipinos benefit from drug war deaths, Duterte says

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says it was Filipinos – and not him nor his family – who “benefitted” from the deaths in his administration’s drug war.

Duterte insisted on this in his taped weekly briefing with interior secretary Eduardo Ano that aired late on August 2 in an expletive-laden rant about human rights advocates’ criticisms of the drug war.

“Let’s assume that what they say about human rights [violations] is true. [Expletive]. Who benefitted? Me? Was it me who benefitted?” Duterte said in Filipino. “My family? Did they benefit from those [expletive] dead? Who benefitted? It’s you, your children. It’s our country that benefitted.”

“Who was put in danger? It’s me, my family, their lives. They [relatives of the dead] will seek revenge. I’m not a millionaire who has a squad behind to guard me. It’s me who has a problem now. Those who benefitted, in truth, are you Filipinos.”

Ano said the drug war would continue right through the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) that will be enforced from August 6-20 in the so-called NCR Plus – composed of Metro Manila and the provinces of Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite and Laguna – due to the rising cases of the more transmissible Delta variant of the novel coronavirus.

“The campaign against illegal drugs will continue until they [drug dealers] are all gone, even if we are facing a pandemic at this time,” he said in Filipino.

According to the interior secretary, the “hard lockdown” would require support and cooperation to achieve maximum effect and halt the spread of the virus, especially of the Delta variant.

Ano has already ordered stricter border control in the region, ordering the placement of quarantine control points at the borders of Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite and Laguna.

Once the region is under ECQ, the control points will be transferred within the borders of Metro Manila.

The number of those killed in drug war operations stood at 6,165 from the time Duterte took office until July 28, according to official records of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA).

Other sources have higher figures, such as the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), which put the number of deaths at 8,663 as of March last year.

Still other human rights organizations pegged the death toll at over 20,000.

According to a recent study conducted by the University of the Philippines, the Duterte administration’s drug war has killed an average of two people a day.

PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • South Korea’s first lady brings hope to ill boy

    South Korea’s first lady Kim Keon-hee – wife of current president of the Republic of Korea, Yoon Suk Yeol – met with a 14-year-boy with congenital heart disease during her trip to the Kingdom for the ASEAN Summit. After their meeting it was announced that the

  • Hun Sen gets Covid, shuns G20, APEC summits

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said he has tested positive for Covid-19 in Indonesia, where he is slated to attend the G20 summit in his capacity of the ASEAN chair. In a social media post addressing the Cambodian public, he said: “Before leaving Cambodia, I always

  • Moody’s sets outlook rating to ‘negative’ for Cambodia

    US global rating agency Moody’s Investors Service Inc on November 15 announced that it downgraded Cambodia’s outlook from “stable” to “negative” and maintained its B2 local and foreign currency issuer ratings. “The negative outlook reflects a deteriorating external position as illustrated by the severe

  • Hun Sen’s Covid infection caused by ‘weakened antibody’ after summit

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said exhaustion from heavy workload before and during the recent ASEAN Summit may have led to him contracting Covid-19 due to his weakened immune system, while rejecting speculations that the infection was caused by leaders of some countries who did not

  • Korean first lady paves way for ill boy’s surgery

    A 14-year-old boy with congenital heart disease who was lucky enough to meet with South Korean first lady Kim Keon-hee may get the chance of a lifetime and receive surgery and treatment at Asan Medical Center in Seoul, South Korea. After seeing his plight, many

  • Kingdom’s rice crowned world’s No1

    Cambodia’s Phka Rumduol jasmine variety has been crowned the World’s Best Rice for the fifth time at the TRT (The Rice Trader) World Rice Conference in Phuket, Thailand on November 17, according to leaders of the Kingdom’s apex rice industry body. Phka Rumduol