Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Filipinos ‘divisive over drug war’

Filipinos ‘divisive over drug war’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Inmates stand next to a portrait of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte inside the city jail in Manila on August 13. ted aljibe/AFP

Filipinos ‘divisive over drug war’

JAILED drug user Bitoy Paras perks up when describing his support for Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly war on narcotics, an unlikely fan of a campaign that has left Filipinos deeply conflicted.

“Duterte talks tough, saying he will get rid of addicts . . . I am happy he’s doing that,” he told AFP at Manila’s main jail, which is packed with drug suspects.

“But I feel uneasy about the killings,” said the 22-year-old rickshaw driver, whose real name cannot be used due to prison policy.

Paras’ seemingly paradoxical backing echoes that of millions of Filipinos, who polls say support the crackdown but not the thousands of slayings that are central to it.

Duterte’s drug war – his signature initiative – helped bring him to power in mid-2016, promising to rid society of narcotics by any means necessary.

Since then, police say they have killed 4,854 alleged drug users or dealers in self-defence, while rights groups estimate the true toll is at least triple that.

According to the latest survey by pollster SWS, the campaign still has the backing of 78 per cent of Filipinos, a figure undented in over a year.

Drug war proponents regularly point to these statistics as proof that the internationally condemned crackdown is the will of the people.

But those same polls show near unanimous agreement – 96 per cent – among the nation in opposition to the killing, saying the suspects should be taken alive.

Experts say Duterte’s campaign has tapped into genuine popular outrage over disorder, crime and dysfunction in a developing nation with millions of poor people and a turbulent political past.

“It’s not like they’re turning a blind eye [to the killing] but they’re really worried about the drug problem,” said Steven Rood, a fellow-in-residence at pollster SWS.

“It has been a problem for a long time and finally the president of the Philippines is doing something about it,” he added, describing how many Filipinos view the narcotics issue.

But for the family of Duterte voter Katherine Bautista, that belief was suddenly turned on its head by tragedy last year.

Bautista supported the crackdown until her stepson John Jezreel David was shot dead in what police said was an anti-drug operation even as she insisted her son was not a drug user.

“I was even saying that the tears of families [of those killed] seemed fake. But when it happened to us, I felt the pain they were feeling,” said Bautista.

“If it doesn’t happen to your family, you won’t wake up to the truth,” she added.

A significant strand in the opposition to the killings is the fear a loved could be slain just by being in the wrong place, not necessarily because of involvement in drugs.

“People feel very afraid that their families or their relatives might be placed in a situation where they could be the targets,” said Randy David, a sociologist and newspaper columnist in Manila.

“But how can you possibly disagree or not lend support for a campaign to rid this country of illegal drugs?” David added, saying the lethal methods were what prompted questions.

‘Not human’

Rare protests were held in the Philippines last year following the deaths of teenagers, while outrage over alleged abuses has prompted Duterte to twice remove police from the frontlines of the campaign – only to reinstate them, and promise to pardon officers convicted of murder.

The International Criminal Court has launched a preliminary examination into the killings, while rights groups say Duterte may be overseeing a crime against humanity.

Meanwhile, Duterte hammers the menace posed by drugs in near daily speeches in which he has described addicts as “not human”.

As the campaign continues, the death toll is well over Amnesty International’s count of 3,240 people killed during the nine years of martial law rule under dictator Ferdinand Marcos, the country’s darkest chapter since World War II.

Duterte recently addressed the thorny issue of the killings, delivering what critics called a clear admission they are suspect.

“What are my sins? Did I steal money? Even just one peso? Did I prosecute somebody I sent to jail?” he asked in a September speech. “My only sin is extrajudicial killings.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea