Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fire ‘destroyed 1.7M hectares of Bolivia’



Fire ‘destroyed 1.7M hectares of Bolivia’

Fire ‘destroyed 1.7M hectares of Bolivia’

Wildfires raging in Bolivia’s forests and grasslands since May have destroyed 1.7 million hectares, officials said on Wednesday, amid an $11 million effort by the government to contain them.

Environmentalists blame laws enacted under Bolivian President Evo Morales, who has encouraged the burning of forest and pasture land to expand agricultural production, while the government attributes the blazes to dry weather and winds.

“Of the fires that have occurred, 41 per cent are in protected areas and 30 per cent is in forests,” Cinthia Asin, env-ironmental minister for the eastern region of Santa Cruz told the press.

Santa Cruz is the hardest hit of Bolivia’s departments since the fires began in May and intensified in late August.

Much to environmentalists’ chagrin, Bolivia’s government recently authorized farmers to burn 20ha instead of the usual 5ha – which is believed to have contributed to thousands of wildfires.

Asin said that over the first days of September, 751 new fires blazed, mostly in forested areas, leading Santa Cruz officials to believe that humans had started the conflagrations to clear farmland.

Separately, the Bolivian government reported that it was continuing its land and air efforts to extinguish the fires.

Foreign Minister Diego Pary said that the executive branch had spent $11 million fighting the fires and had an additional $2 million at its disposal from international cooperation.

A SuperTanker Boeing 747 capable of carrying 75,000 litres, helicopters and some 4,000 firefighters, police and military personnel were all working to extinguish the flames.

Morales announced earlier Wednesday that he was expecting the arrival of three 16,000-liter capacity helicopters as well as a Russian plane with a 50,000-liter capacity.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.