Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Former President Lee Myung-bak sentenced to 15 years in prison for corruption



Former President Lee Myung-bak sentenced to 15 years in prison for corruption

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former President Lee Myung-bak. Yonhap

Former President Lee Myung-bak sentenced to 15 years in prison for corruption

The Korea Herald/ANN: Former President Lee Myung-bak was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Friday, over a series of corruption charges including abuse of power and embezzlement.

The Seoul Central District Court also ordered a fine of 13 billion won ($11.5 million) and the forfeiture of 8.27 billion won. Prosecutors had demanded 20 years in jail, a 15 billion won fine and the forfeiture of 11.1 billion won against Lee.

“As a president who was given great authority from the people, he had the responsibility to use his power according to the Constitution and for the people,” the court said.

“But from the trials we found that Lee had embezzled some 24.6 billion won via DAS over a long period of time. Considering that he was serving as a lawmaker and Seoul mayor during the period, his misconduct should be taken seriously.”

The court also said it was not appropriate for Lee to continue denying his charges, as concrete evidence was found to back the allegations. Lee had been pushing liability to his aides and subordinates, saying they committed the crimes for their own benefit and are slandering him.

Lee was in office from 2008 to 2013. He was indicted in April over 16 charges, including bribery and embezzlement.

The sentencing hearing was televised live, as the court had granted approval Tuesday, citing that it was in consideration of public interest and that people had the right to know.

But Lee was not present at the hearing. He claimed that poor health conditions prevented him from doing so.

Regarding the long-disputed ownership of the controversial DAS, an auto parts maker, the court concluded that Lee is the actual owner and that he had ordered his aides to amass slush funds. The auto parts manufacturer is owned by Lee’s eldest brother Lee Sang-eun on paper. However, the prosecution had suspected the former president used DAS to amass slush funds totaling some 34.9 billion won from 1994 to 2006.

The court, however, found Lee guilty of embezzling slush funds worth 24 billion won.

Lee has been denying the allegations, saying he does not own any shares of the auto parts company. In his final statement on Sept. 6, he said the house he lives in is the only asset he has.

Lee was accused of receiving about 11.1 billion won in bribes from the state spy agency, individuals and businesses.

The prosecutors suspected the bribes included $5 million in litigation fees that Samsung allegedly paid on behalf of the auto parts maker between 2007 and 2009, as a kickback to the former president in return for the pardoning of Samsung’s former Chairman Lee Kun-hee.

The court confirmed that the former president received the kickback from Samsung. Other convictions include the abuse of power and violation of the election law.

The court, however dismissed the prosecution’s charge that Lee violated the act on the management of presidential archives. Lee was suspected of hiding some presidential documents regarding DAS, when his presidential term ended.

Lee has been detained since March 23 at the Seoul Dongbu Detention Center.

Early Friday, former National Police Agency Commissioner-General Cho Hyun-oh was arrested for abusing his authority and ordering some 1,500 police officers to post online comments on social affairs favorable to former President Lee, from January 2010 to April 2012.

The Seoul court granted the arrest warrant, citing concerns over destruction of evidence. Cho is the first among top police chiefs to be arrested during a police investigation and to be detained in the police station.

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: Covid in Cambodia goes into new phase

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia said that Cambodia has reached a new phase of the pandemic with “decreasing case numbers, high vaccination coverage and a more transmissible circulating variant threatening a hidden surge”. In a press release on September 6, the WHO said that

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • International air visitor arrivals dip 93%

    The number of foreign tourists entering Cambodia through the Kingdom’s three international airports witnessed a sharp 92.5 per cent year-on-year decline in the first seven months of this year, according to the Ministry of Tourism. The airports handled 51,729 international tourists in the January-July period versus

  • School reopening ‘offers model for other sectors’

    World Health Organisation (WHO) representative to Cambodia Li Ailan said school reopening process should be used as a role model for reopening other sectors currently mothballed by the Covid-19 pandemic. Li strongly supports the government’s decision to reopen schools, saying it is a decision

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • Is Cambodia’s microfinance sector running its course?

    Economic growth and the strength of the banking system might have prompted a slow decline of the microfinance segment that has been raising a population ‘The MFI business model is over,” opined David Van, a Cambodian investment expert, recently. He felt that in a couple