Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - A gag on freedom of expression in Bangladesh



A gag on freedom of expression in Bangladesh

A gag on freedom of expression in Bangladesh

by Partha Pratim Bhattacharjee, Tuhin Shubhra Adhikary

DHAKA (The Daily Star/ANN) - The freedom of the press and expression was put to the sword, journalists and rights defenders feared yesterday, as Bangladesh's cabinet approved the draft of the Digital Security Act-2018 yesterday.

There would be every chance of the act being misused against people's right to express themselves after it is passed by the Jatiya Sangsad, some observed.

They also felt duped by the government as section 57 of the Information and Communication Technology Act was kept in the proposed law with some changes, despite assurances in the past of eliminating the controversial provision.

Section 57 deals with defamation, hurting religious sentiments, causing deterioration of law and order and instigating against any person or organisation through publishing or transmitting any material in websites or in electronic form.

It stipulates maximum 14 years in prison for the offences.

Now, the draft of Digital Security Act-2018 splits these offences into four separate sections with punishment ranging from a three to 10 year term.

The proposed law describes some crimes as “non-bailable” and allows a police official to search or arrest anyone without a warrant in special circumstances.

A cabinet meeting, presided over by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her office, gave the approval and Cabinet Secretary Md Shafiul Alam later briefed the media at the secretariat.

He said the government has formulated the act to combat growing cyber crimes that are affecting many public and private organisations including Bangladesh Bank.

The draft was approved keeping a provision for revoking sections 54, 55, 56, 57 and 66 of the ICT act, he said, adding that the cases already filed under section 57 will continue.

Inspector General of Police AKM Shahidul Hoque, too, said the proceedings of the cases filed under section 57 will continue, reports UNB.

Currently, 701 cases filed under section 57 are pending with the lone cyber tribunal of the country, sources say.

Asked whether the proposed law will affect journalism as elements of section 57 were incorporated in the draft, the cabinet secretary did not give any direct answer and only said, “There is nothing about journalists here [in the draft].”

Rights activists and journalists have been demanding cancellation of section 57 for its widespread misuse.

Experts say the section goes against people's right to freedom of expression and free speech and it contains vague wordings, allowing its misuse against newsmen and social media users.

Protests were staged last year after more than two dozen journalists were sued under the section.

Amid widespread criticisms, Law Minister Anisul Huq on several occasions said section 57 would be removed.

Contacted last night, he said, “There is a great difference between section 57 [of ICT Act] and the provisions incorporated in the Digital Security Act.”

Asked about the criticisms from journalists and rights activists about the draft, the minister said, “They are saying this for the sake of saying something.”

He declined to comment further.

After a programme in the capital, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan said section 57 was discussed for a long time in the cabinet meeting. The draft will be finalised after many inclusions and exclusions, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and