Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Iran to resume enrichment of uranium at underground plant

Iran to resume enrichment of uranium at underground plant

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
President Hassan Rouhani speaks during the opening of a factory in the capital Tehran on Tuesday. Rouhani said that Iran would resume uranium enrichment at an underground plant south of Tehran in a step back from the troubled 2015 nuclear agreement. HO/IRANIAN PRESIDENCY/AFP

Iran to resume enrichment of uranium at underground plant

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday that Iran would resume uranium enrichment at an underground plant south of Tehran in its latest step back from a troubled 2015 agreement with major powers.

The suspension of all enrichment at the Fordow plant in the mountains near the Shiite holy city of Qom was one of the main curbs on its nuclear activities that Iran accepted in return for the lifting of international sanctions as part of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

But Washington’s abandonment of the deal in May last year followed by its reimposition of crippling sanctions prompted Iran to begin a phased suspension of its own commitments.

Under the terms of the agreement, Iran has retained more than 1,000 first-generation centrifuges at the Fordow plant, which have been running empty or remained idle since it took effect.

“Starting from [Wednesday], we will begin injecting [uranium hexafluoride] gas at Fordow,” Rouhani said in a speech broadcast by state television.

His announcement came a day after tensions flared anew on the 40th anniversary of the US embassy siege and hostage crisis, with thousands in Tehran taking to the streets and Washington imposing fresh sanctions.

The US replied by vowing to keep up its “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran with a goal of ending all enrichment.

“Iran has no credible reason to expand its uranium enrichment programme, at the Fordow facility or elsewhere, other than a clear attempt at nuclear extortion that will only deepen its political and economic isolation,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said.

Transparency

Iran said the resumption of enrichment at Fordow would be carried out transparently and witnessed by inspectors from the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

But the EU voiced disquiet at the new step away from the 2015 deal.

“We are concerned by President Rouhani’s announcement today to further reduce Iran’s commitments,” EU spokeswoman Maja Kocijancic told reporters.

France urged Tehran to “go back on its decisions, which contradict the accord”, while Britain’s Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said that “Iran’s latest actions clearly contravene the deal and pose a risk to our national security”.

“We want to find a way forward through constructive international dialogue, but Iran needs to stand by the commitments it made and urgently return to full compliance,” Raab said.

Russia also expressed worry, despite its good relations with Iran.

“We are monitoring the development of the situation with concern,” Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

“We support the preservation of this deal.”

At the same time, Peskov said Moscow understood Tehran’s concerns over the “unprecedented and illegal sanctions” imposed by Washington.

The move is the fourth announced by Iran since it began responding to Washington’s abandonment of the agreement.

Iran has repeatedly warned the remaining parties to the deal – Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia – that the agreement can only be rescued if they help it circumvent US sanctions.

European governments have struggled to come up with a mechanism that would allow foreign firms to continue to do business with Iran without incurring US penalties.

To Iran’s mounting frustration, their efforts have so far failed to have any significant impact.

Rouhani stressed that Iran remained committed to efforts to save the 2015 agreement, despite its phased suspension of some of its commitments.

“The fourth phase, like the three previous ones, is reversible,” he said.

“We are committed to all the behind-the-scenes negotiations we have with some countries for a solution.

“Over the next two months, we will negotiate more.”

Rouhani said Iran wanted to return to a situation in which “we can easily sell our oil; we can easily use our money in banks”.

If that were achieved, “we will completely go back to the previous situation”.

The EU warned on Monday that its continued support for the deal depended “on full compliance by Iran”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy stopped in Paris from boarding Thai flight

    Airline officials at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport on Thursday prevented Sam Rainsy from boarding his flight to Bangkok ahead of his announced return to Cambodia on Saturday. Prime Minister Hun Sen had earlier in the day assured Phnom Penh residents that there would be

  • Analyst: Rainsy blocked from boarding flight 'an excuse'

    THAI Airways not allowing Sam Rainsy on its route from Paris to Bangkok on Thursday is being used as an excuse to keep his standing among fellow coup plotters and his uninformed supporters as flights to non-Asean countries are available, an analyst said on Friday.

  • Rainsy lands in Malaysia

    Cambodian opposition figure Sam Rainsy arrived in Kuala Lumpur airport on Saturday afternoon after boarding a flight from Paris, where he has been living for more than four years. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesperson Koy Kuong said on Saturday that Cambodia respected

  • Touch: Rainsy will never return

    Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has claimed it has achieved 70 per cent of its struggle to find a solution to the current political situation in the Kingdom. Just before boarding a plane at Charles de Gaulle

  • Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

    Not satisfied with having his bail conditions reduced, allowing him to travel freely in Cambodia, Kem Sokha says he wants his charge totally dropped. “As an innocent man who has been in detention for two years even without being found guilty, I continue to demand

  • MEPs' call for Rainsy's safety not European Parliament position

    The European Parliament said on Friday that a statement by 56 Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) calling for guarantees of Sam Rainsy’s freedom and safety should he return to Cambodia did not represent its position. Delphine Colard, the European Parliament’s press officer told