Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mahathir untrustworthy, says Malaysia’s opposition leader




Mahathir untrustworthy, says Malaysia’s opposition leader

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim had waited in the wings for nearly two years for former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad to fulfil a campaign pledge to hand over the premiership to him. AFP

Mahathir untrustworthy, says Malaysia’s opposition leader

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim said he no longer has faith in former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad, following a series of “broken promises”.

Datuk Seri Anwar, in an interview with CNBC last Friday, said “not now” when asked if he still trusted the former prime minister.

“I am just human, I take people at face value and I think people do change with age, with wisdom, but I am not necessarily right always and, in this particular case, I apologise. I was wrong,” he said. “No regrets.”

Anwar, 72, had waited in the wings for nearly two years for Mahathir, 94, to fulfil a campaign pledge to eventually hand over the premiership to him.

Mahathir refused to commit to a timeline for the transition, which became moot when bickering among the ruling coalition parties led to its collapse last month.

The conflict between Anwar and Mahathir goes way back to the 1990s, when Anwar served as Mahathir’s deputy and was seen as his successor.

But Mahathir fired Anwar in 1998, and the latter spent the next six years in prison on convictions for abuse of power and sodomy. He was freed but went back to jail again in 2015 on a subsequent sodomy charge.

Anwar said Mahathir had “seemed quite sincere”, when visiting him in jail and the courthouse in the run-up to the general election in 2018.

He added that Mahathir had asked him to work together with him, and made “promises in private, and in public, signed documents”.

The two leaders papered over their rivalry to oust then Prime Minister Najib Razak. After their election victory, Anwar received a royal pardon and was freed from jail.

Anwar also told CNBC he plans to “move on” and focus on the plight of the people.

Malaysia’s opposition will support any effective measures by the current government during the coronavirus pandemic, Anwar said, adding that he believes the administration led by Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin lacks clear plans to battle the outbreak.

THE STRAITS TIMES (SINGAPORE)/ANN

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped