Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More evacuations underway in flood-hit Johor



More evacuations underway in flood-hit Johor

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
People evacuate from Segamat in Johor on Tuesday. THE STAR

More evacuations underway in flood-hit Johor

Flood victims in Malaysia’s southern Johor state had little respite on January 4 even though officials forecast good weather was on the way.

Rising waters forced 5,362 people in Johor to evacuate and take shelter in temporary relief centres.

Segamat district, about two-and-a-half hours’ drive north from the Johor capital of Johor Baru, was the worst hit with a video on Twitter showing an entire village inundated.

Police rescued 14 factory workers left stranded on the night of January 3 by the rising waters, said a Facebook post by the Royal Malaysia Police.

Six other states -- Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, Sabah, Melaka, Selangor and Terengganu -- have also been hit by the flooding with nearly 13,000 people displaced.

Riza Molinda posted a video on Facebook on January 4 of her house in Segamat district after flood waters had receded.

The Cabinet is meeting on January 5 to discuss the situation as post-flood clean-up operations continued in areas hit initially by the first bout of incessant rain in mid-December.

Stallholder Chai Foong Mei, 52, from Taman Sri Muda, Selangor, said her ground-floor flat was still being restored more than two weeks after it was swamped by 3.6m-high flood waters on December 18.

“My home rebuilding is in progress with the help from the neighbourhood and non-governmental organisations,” she told The Straits Times.

A total of 113 educational institutions remain closed because they were affected by floods or are being used as temporary evacuation centres.

The danger is not over yet as several rivers in at least five states have breached the danger level threatening low-lying areas.

But the Meteorological Department on January 4 announced the end of the continuous heavy rain warning, adding that good weather was expected in the states of Terengganu, Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Johor. The continuous downpour alert remained in force for five districts in Sabah.

So far, the second wave of flooding has not been as severe as the first, which saw nearly 70,000 people displaced last month and the country’s industrial heartland in Selangor, Klang Valley, badly hit.

At least 50 people lost their lives in what has been described as one of the worst floods in the country in recent years.

Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob tweeted on January 4 that the government would provide psychological support for flood victims, particularly children.

Last week, he pledged that each affected family would receive 61,000 ringgit ($14,500) in aid and said the government would look into long-term flood solutions amid criticism over how it had handled the disaster.

Critics accused the government of not taking the floods seriously when they first occurred, with questions being raised about delays in rescue operations.

The government has said it plans to install more sirens at flood-prone areas to warn residents and for evacuation purposes.

Other proposals included having closed-circuit television cameras at river-level monitoring stations to allow residents to prepare to evacuate should rivers reach danger levels.

THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio