Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mozambique general denies Amnesty ‘war crime’ allegations



Mozambique general denies Amnesty ‘war crime’ allegations

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Internally displaced persons await in line during a UN World Food Programme distribution at the ‘3 de fevereiro escola’ school in Matuge district, northern Mozambique, on February 24. AFP

Mozambique general denies Amnesty ‘war crime’ allegations

A senior Mozambique general on March 7 denied a recent Amnesty International report accusing government forces, a private security company and militants of killing hundreds of civilians in the country’s insurgency-hit northeast.

Jihadists have launched a string of attacks on towns and villages in the gas-rich Cabo Delgado province since a first assault in 2017.

The violence has left at least 2,600 people dead, around half of them civilians, according to the US-based NGO Armed Conflict Location and Event Data.

Amnesty International this week said locals were “caught” between Mozambican security forces fighting the insurgents alongside private militia – accusing all three parties of “war crimes” causing hundreds of civilian deaths.

The deputy head of the Mozambique Armed Defence Forces Bertolino Kapetine dismissed the allegations on March 7.

“The report brings some untruths,” Bertolino told journalists during a state-organised press trip to Cabo Delgado.

“Our mission is to defend sovereignty and territorial integrity and we cannot mistreat the community,” he added, noting that the report had been written by “people who have never been here”.

It is the first time an official has commented on the publication since its release on March 2.

Bertolino also denied Amnesty’s claims that the government had hired a South African private military company to beef up its ranks after losing “a number of battles”.

The army has been struggling to regain control of Cabo Delgado despite heavy deployments to the area.

Amnesty documented several gruesome killings by security forces, including summary executions of blindfolded villagers and the brutal shooting of a naked woman recorded on video.

The watchdog added that DAG mercenaries fired guns from helicopters and indiscriminately dropped hand grenades onto crowds.

The jihadists – a shadowy group known locally as ‘al-Shabaab’ – are also accused of heinous acts of violence with machetes, including numerous beheadings and desecration of corpses.

The South African-based DAG vowed to investigate the allegations earlier this week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Time to Rise by rapper, chapei legend is viral hit with ancient-modern mix

    Kong Nay is known internationally as the master of the chapei dang veng, a traditional Cambodian instrument resembling a long-necked lute or guitar with two nylon strings that he was already playing professionally by the age of 15. Nay is sometimes referred to as the Cambodian