Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Myanmar army blames data blackouts on demonstrators



Myanmar army blames data blackouts on demonstrators

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Myanmar has been in chaos since the military toppled Aung San Suu Kyi’s government in February, triggering huge democracy protests that security forces have sought to quell in bloody crackdowns. STR/AFP

Myanmar army blames data blackouts on demonstrators

Myanmar's junta has denied suspending the internet in conflict-wracked regions, blaming a recent spate of data blackouts on anti-coup protesters who had destroyed military-owned communications towers.

The country has been in chaos since the military toppled Aung San Suu Kyi’s government in February, triggering huge democracy protests that security forces have sought to quell in bloody crackdowns.

Some in the anti-coup movement formed local “people’s defence forces” in their townships to fight back, and in recent weeks destroyed several communications towers belonging to military-owned Mytel in western Chin state.

Reports of an internet and data blackout – particularly in regions where local defence forces and the military are locked in conflict – emerged soon after.

The junta’s foreign ministry on September 25 denied that the State Administration Council – as the military regime dubs itself – was responsible.

“In fact, the recent internet connections were disrupted due to the terrorist acts such as destroying of communication towers by terrorist groups,” the ministry said in a statement.

“The ministry urged some foreign missions in Yangon to thoroughly verify information before making statements.”

Post-coup Myanmar is no stranger to internet blackouts, with the junta imposing one in the early hours of February 1 as soldiers arrested Suu Kyi and other top politicians from her National League for Democracy party.

A nationwide mobile data blackout was also imposed during the nighttime hours in the weeks following the power grab.

On September 26, anti-coup fighters told AFP that telecommunications services in Pinlebu, Kawlin and Wuntho townships in northern Sagaing region – where clashes with the military have been fierce – were down since the early hours of the day.

“We could not use internet and phone” since 2:00am (1930 GMT on September 25), an anti-coup fighter who had fled Kawlin told AFP, adding that security forces were flooding into the area.

“The people are worried that the junta would launch a big operation,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Another local defence force member said they could no longer reach their fighters in Pinlebu.

The stepped-up attacks from anti-coup fighters came after the self-proclaimed “National Unity Government”, made up mostly of lawmakers from Suu Kyi’s ousted party, urged citizens to target military assets in their areas.

More than 1,100 civilians have been killed and some 8,000 arrested since the coup, according to local observers.

The junta has defended its power grab by alleging massive fraud during elections late last year which Suu Kyi’s party had won by a landslide.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • Cambodia voted ‘world’s friendliest country’ in Rough Guides reader poll

    Cambodia ranked number one among the “World’s Friendliest Countries”, according to a reader poll conducted by London-based international website “Rough Guides”. Taking submissions through Twitter and Facebook, “Rough Guides”, a well-known travel agency and publisher of guidebooks, said the Kingdom “was by far the