Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - North Korea ‘hiding missile bases’

North Korea ‘hiding missile bases’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
There are signs of growing friction in US negotiations with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and his officials. AFP

North Korea ‘hiding missile bases’

North Korea is operating at least 13 undeclared bases to hide mobile, nuclear-capable missiles, a new study asserted on Monday, as progress stalls on US President Donald Trump’s signature foreign policy
initiative.

Trump has hailed his June summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as having opened the way to the North’s denuclearisation, defusing tensions that less than a year ago brought the two countries to the brink of conflict.

Since the summit in Singapore, North Korea has forgone nuclear and missile tests, dismantled a missile test site and promised to also break up the country’s main nuclear complex if the US makes concessions.

But researchers at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington said they had located 13 missile operating bases not declared by the government, and that there may be as many as 20.

“It’s not like these bases have been frozen,” Victor Cha, who leads CSIS’s North Korea programme, told the New York Times, which first reported on the study and headlined its findings as suggesting a “great deception” by Pyongyang.

“Work is continuing,” said Cha, who was once in line to be the US ambassador to Seoul. “What everybody is worried about is that Trump is going to accept a bad deal – they give us a single test site and dismantle a few other things, and in return they get a peace agreement.”

But the South Korean government and analysts played down the report, saying that the facilities had been known about for years and Pyongyang had never offered to give them up.

The bases are scattered across the country in underground facilities tunnelled in narrow mountain valleys, according to the CSIS researchers, and designed for mobile missile launchers to quickly exit and move to previously prepared launch sites.

Bases for strategic weapons such as intercontinental ballistic missiles – whose development is the subject of sanctions – are located deep inside the country.

Medium-range missiles capable of striking Japan and all of South Korea reportedly are deployed in an operational belt 90-150km (55-100 miles) north of the Demilitarized Zone that divides the peninsula.

Shorter-range missiles fit into a tactical belt 48 to 80 kilometres from the DMZ.

The researchers’ findings were based on satellite imagery, defector interviews and interviews with intelligence and government officials.

The South Korean government and analysts played down the report, saying there was “not much new” about the findings.

“I don’t see a kind of groundbreaking or new information really,” said Daniel Pinkston, a lecturer at Troy University in Seoul, adding the Sakkanmol site the report highlighted “has been known for a long time, for at least 20 years”.

‘Highly misleading’

Vipin Narang of MIT tweeted: “Kim literally ordered ballistic missiles to be mass produced on New Year’s day 2018.

“He never offered to stop producing them, let alone give them up,” he added, saying that “the characterisation of ‘deception’ is highly misleading. There’s no deal to violate.”

The South’s presidential office said intelligence authorities in Seoul and Washington had already been aware of the information in the report and added the Sakkanmol base had “nothing to do with inter-continental ballistic missiles”.

“North Korea never promised to get rid of short-range missiles or to shut down related missile bases,” presidential spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom told reporters.

President Moon Jae-in is pursuing an engagement drive with his neighbour, and his spokesman added that the facilities’ existence showed the need for talks with North Korea to eliminate military threats, warning that such “misleading information” could “block dialogue” between Pyongyang and Washington.

Trump has said he hopes to meet again soon with Kim, but there are signs of growing friction in the negotiations with North Korean officials, which appear to have stalled.

MOST VIEWED

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cash handout programme 80% complete

    Minister of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation Vong Soth confirmed on Thursday that the implementation of the Cash Transfer Programme For Poor and Vulnerable Households During Covid-19 had been implemented for more than 80% of the over 560,000 families. The programme was introduced one week ago.

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Where is Cambodia’s exit strategy that can save the economy?

    With the prospect of being slammed by a double whammy, the government is working on an economic recovery plan to deliver it from Covid-19 and the EU’s partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms scheme in the next two to three years Cambodia is

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to