Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Oz government hit by claims of Chinese meddling




Oz government hit by claims of Chinese meddling

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Australia's immigration minister Peter Dutton dismissed allegations of Chinese interference as "nonsense". AFP

Oz government hit by claims of Chinese meddling

Australia’s hardline immigration minister was swept up in the deepening saga over Chinese meddling in domestic politics on Tuesday, delivering another blow to a government facing defeat in next month’s election.

An investigation by national broadcaster ABC revealed that Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton met privately in 2016 with Chinese billionaire Huang Xiangmo to discuss obtaining Australian citizenship.

Huang has been at the centre of a series of scandals including accusations he bought influence in Canberra with millions in donations to major political parties. He has long denied any wrongdoing.

The ABC alleged Huang paid a lobbyist thousands of dollars for private access to Dutton, throwing Australia’s governing coalition into the foreign interference saga even as it trails in polls ahead of an expected May 18 election.

Huang was eventually denied citizenship on the advice of Australian spy agencies and barred last month from the country on suspicions he is part of a Communist Party influence campaign.

Dutton on Tuesday dismissed allegations of interference as “nonsense”.

“I have never received a dollar from this individual. I had one meeting with him over lunch. I have never seen him since,” he told reporters.

Former opposition Labor party senator Sam Dastyari, who was forced to quit politics because of his ties to Huang, told the ABC that Dutton in 2015 fast-tracked a request for the billionaire’s family to hold a citizenship ceremony.

Dastyari said it “blew him away” when Dutton took a few weeks to approve a fast-track request that would typically take months to rubber stamp.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison defended his government on Tuesday, labelling Dastyari a “disgrace” for “betraying” his country.

But former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, who last year introduced sweeping reforms to Australia’s espionage and foreign interference laws, said the ABC report was “very concerning”.

Turnbull, who was ousted in a party coup late last year by a hard-right faction led by Dutton, likened the latest revelations to the Dastyari case.

“Peter Dutton has a lot to explain about this,” he told reporters on Tuesday.

Canberra banned foreign donations as part of its reforms, with China called out as its primary concern.

Beijing has dismissed the claims of meddling as hysteria and paranoia.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Potential shield’ for virus hangs in balance

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) suspended trials of the drug that US president Donald Trump has promoted as a coronavirus defence, fuelling concerns about his handling of the pandemic that has killed nearly 100,000 US citizens. Trump has led the push for hydroxychloroquine as a potential

  • Gov’t rolls out stimulus to keep businesses afloat

    The government has introduced the fourth round of stimulus measures aimed at ensuring economic and social stability during the outbreak of the Covid-19 disease. The move, which was announced on Tuesday, is designed to help businesses, factories and enterprises to stay afloat while reducing the

  • E-cigarette back in spotlight amid virus pandemic

    The Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease (DCD) department has released a video about the effects of smoking, while the NGO Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) warned against the use of electronic cigarettes or vape. The short video clip that was posted on

  • Por Sen Chey woman murdered

    Por Sen Chey district police are searching for a suspect who robbed and killed a woman in a rented room in Samraong Kraom commune in Phnom Penh at 6:30pm on Monday. Deputy district police chief Chea Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the victim,

  • Police chief: remove all roadblocks

    National Police chief Neth Savoeun warned Phnom Penh and provincial police chiefs to remove all roadblocks, saying that traffic police officials in some provinces had tightened traffic law implementation against guidelines. In a leaked voice message which was shared on social media on Tuesday, Savoeun

  • Capital calls for Covid-19 caution

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall announced on Monday that authorities in the city’s 14 districts must encourage people to continue various safety measures to prevent a second wave of Covid-19. It called on administrations, departments and units to educate residents on daily living habits like