Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pentagon downplays newest Afghanistan clashes



Pentagon downplays newest Afghanistan clashes

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A US and Afghan soldier shake hands during the handover ceremony at Camp Antonik in Helmand province. AFGHAN DEFENCE MINISTRYAFP

Pentagon downplays newest Afghanistan clashes

The Pentagon on May 3 downplayed the impact of attacks by Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan over the weekend as US and allied forces began their withdrawal from the country.

"What we've seen are some small harassing attacks over the course of the weekend that have not had any significant impact, certainly not on our people or on our resources there," said US defence department spokesman John Kirby.

"We've seen nothing thus far that has affected the drawdown, or had any significant impact on the mission at hand in Afghanistan."

On May 1, just as the US military formally began to pull out its last 2,500 troops in the country, it launched a "precision strike" against the source of fire that targeted an airfield in Kandahar used by the US.

General Austin Miller, the US commander in Afghanistan, "certainly has at his disposal response options to make sure that he's protecting our troops and our people", Kirby said.

Nearly 20 years after US and allied NATO troops invaded the country and ousted the Taliban government as they pursued Al-Qaeda after the September 11, 2001 attacks, President Joe Biden last month ordered the final withdrawal.

But the Taliban meanwhile has stepped up its attacks against the US-backed government in Kabul, adding to worries that US troops were also at higher risk as they pull out.

Fighting between Afghan government forces and the Taliban on May 1-2 in several provinces, including Kandahar, left more than 100 insurgents dead, according to the Afghan defence ministry.

Kirby also said that the Pentagon was "well aware" of the risks that many Afghans who worked for the US military and coalition forces face as the Taliban grow in power and threaten to seize control in Kabul.

US defence secretary Lloyd Austin is in talks with other officials "about how we meet our obligations to them", he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Lost in translation: ‘Starvation’ in capital’s designated red zones

    “DACH bay” is a Khmer slang meaning a “loss of income”, that could also be literally translated to «deprived of rice”, which alludes to starvation. However, civil society organisation (CSO) officials have independently confirmed the government’s prior assertions that there are no cases of