Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Philippine military to review troop accounts following Facebook purge



Philippine military to review troop accounts following Facebook purge

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Philippine network involved 57 Facebook accounts, 31 pages and 20 Instagram profiles. AFP

Philippine military to review troop accounts following Facebook purge

The Philippine military said on Wednesday it will review the social media accounts of service members after Facebook took down a network linked to State security forces it accused of “coordinated inauthentic behaviour”.

Facebook said it had removed two networks – one traced to the Philippines and another to China’s Fujian province – for violating its policies.

The Philippine network involved 57 Facebook accounts, 31 pages and 20 Instagram profiles, according to Nathaniel Gleicher, head of security policy at the social media giant.

He said in a blog post: “Although the people behind this activity attempted to conceal their identities, our investigation found links to Philippine military and Philippine police.”

Activities focused on local politics, military operations, a controversial anti-terrorism bill and criticism of communist insurgents.

At least 300 activists who were tagged as communist sympathisers have been killed since Duterte became president in 2016, in what civil rights advocates have slammed as a campaign to shut down dissent and criticism of Duterte’s bloody drug war and human rights record.

Even the international humanitarian organisation Oxfam had been identified as a suspected financier of communist groups.

Philippine military chief Lieutenant-General Gilbert Gapay on Wednesday urged troops to comply with Facebook guidelines.

“The [armed forces of the Philippines] does not tolerate the uploading of fake news and fictitious social media accounts,” he said ahead of a meeting later on Wednesday with Facebook officials in Manila.

“This development also prompted us to review personnel accounts and remind them of our policies.”

Philippine police chief Camilo Cascolan said official-force Facebook pages “remain compliant”.

The force adheres to “cyber etiquette and proper decorum in all public engagements including social media”, he said.

The Fujian network also sought to push Duterte-Carpio to run for president in 2022.

Duterte-Carpio led a political coalition that nearly swept the Senate race two years ago.

That was seen as a dry run for her bid to succeed her father, although political parties under her coalition have been pushing for their candidates.

But her father’s endorsement would likely compel these parties to rally around Duterte-Carpio against her possible main rival, Vice-President Leni Robredo, who heads the opposition.

Tuesday’s action by Facebook was the third takedown of suspicious Philippine accounts since 2018 when it stepped up an offensive against misinformation.

In January last year, it removed hundreds of pages with 43 million followers linked to a local digital marketing group.

Facebook said the campaign out of China it took down focused on the Philippines and South East Asia, but also took aim at the US presidential race.

Posts commented particularly on naval activity in the South China Sea, including US vessels.

AFP, THE STRAITS TIMES (SINGAPORE)/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese