Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Philippines extends lockdown in Manila, four nearby provinces



Philippines extends lockdown in Manila, four nearby provinces

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An empty street is seen at Quiapo district in Manila on 29 March, 2021, on day one of the government's imposing a stricter lockdown. AFP

Philippines extends lockdown in Manila, four nearby provinces

The Philippines will extend a coronavirus lockdown of more than 24 million people, an official said on April 3, as it deploys tents and health workers to overwhelmed hospitals in the capital where cases are surging.

People in Metro Manila – the national capital region – and four neighbouring provinces will have to stay home for another week unless they are essential workers, presidential spokesman Harry Roque said.

The announcement came as the number of new infections for a single day hit a record high of 12,576, taking the country’s caseload to more than 784,000, including over 13,400 deaths.

More contagious variants of the virus and poor compliance with health protocols have been blamed for the surge in recent weeks.

Roque said: “We call on local governments to tighten enforcement of our quarantine measures and confront people who fail to follow minimum health standards.”

Independent research group OCTA said the week-long enhanced community quarantine imposed on March 29 was showing signs of slowing the spread of the virus, “but we’re not there yet”.

The spike has swamped many hospitals, with reports of people driving for hours around the sprawling capital looking for a facility that can treat their sick loved ones.

To boost capacity, the health department said modular tents were being delivered to hospitals across Metro Manila with the help of the World Health Organisation and the UN children fund UNICEF.

“Volunteer” health workers from other regions where virus transmission rates were low would be deployed to hospitals in the capital in the coming weeks, it added.

Under the restrictions affecting a fifth of the country’s population, church services and other mass gatherings are banned and a 6:00pm to 5:00am curfew is in force.

Supermarkets, pharmacies and other essential businesses are allowed to operate, and outdoor exercise is permitted.

A previous months-long lockdown crippled the Philippine economy, cost millions of jobs and left many households hungry.

The sluggish rollout of vaccines and poor contact tracing have fuelled criticism of President Rodrigo Duterte’s government, which has been accused of bungling its response to the pandemic.

As of April 1, 760,938 health workers had received their first dose, the health department said.

The government said previously it aims to finish inoculating 1.7 million health workers by mid-April.

“Those who can take the vaccine must have themselves vaccinated now,” Roque said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants