Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Philippines to set fines for oil spill off Iloilo City coast




Philippines to set fines for oil spill off Iloilo City coast

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A power barge exploded and spilled oil off the coast of Iloilo City on Friday. LEO SOLINAP/HANDOUT/PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER

Philippines to set fines for oil spill off Iloilo City coast

The Philippines’ Department of Environment and Natural Resources will issue a notice of violation of the Philippine Clean Water Act to the company operating the power barge that exploded and spilt oil off the coast of Iloilo City on Friday.

Undersecretary of Environment Benny Antiporda on Sunday said a technical conference would be called to look into the clean-up of the oil spill, which had spread to an area estimated to be as wide as 1,200sqm as of Saturday evening.

He said the matter would then be endorsed to the Pollution Adjudication Board of the Environmental Management Bureau for computation of fines against Ayala-owned AC Energy Corp, which operates Power Barge 102 docked at Barangay Barrio Obrero in Iloilo City’s Lapuz district.

An explosion from Barge 102 on Friday afternoon tore a 30cm hole on the hull of the barge, spilling an estimated 251,000 litres of fuel by Saturday morning.

Nobody was injured, but by Sunday morning, about 400 residents were evacuated amid the spreading smoke from the bunker fuel, according to the Iloilo City Risk Reduction Management Office.

Some 179,300 litres of bunker fuel was collected from the water’s surface on Sunday, according to a report by the Coast Guard station in Iloilo.

Joe Luviz Mercurio, Coast Guard station commander in Iloilo, said the clean-up would take at least two weeks. In a statement on Saturday, AC Energy said it immediately undertook containment procedures, but “high ocean waves” caused some of the oil to spill beyond its area.

With the help of the Coast Guard, the company began operations to recover spilt oil from the water’s surface.

“We will assist so that the affected families are taken care of,” said Gabino Ramon Mejia, head of the company’s plant operations.

Mejia said the company was willing to provide compensation for the evacuated residents. AC Energy also said it had provided water, food, folding beds, blankets and pillows to them.

Coast Guard spokesperson Commodore Armand Balilo said a team had been formed “to gather information and evidence and file a case if there is a basis”.

The oil spill is the worst environmental calamity since 2006 when 2.1 million litres of bunker fuel was spilt in the waters of Guimaras after a tanker sank in stormy seas southeast of the island-province.

The oil spill devastated the livelihood of Guimaras residents dependent on fishing and shell-gathering. It is considered the country’s worst marine disaster after it destroyed hundreds of hectares of mangroves, seagrass, corals, coastline, coral reefs, seaweeds and fishponds.

PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.