Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Puerto Rico earthquake victims get old supplies



Puerto Rico earthquake victims get old supplies

Puerto Rico earthquake victims get old supplies

Puerto Ricans dealing with the effects of almost non-stop earthquakes since last month have begun to receive emergency supplies, the National Guard said Tuesday – but the supplies were originally meant for hurricane victims two years ago.

The aid was found abandoned in warehouses in the US territory over the weekend, leading to protests and a judicial investigation.

On Monday, 10 of the towns most affected by the series of tremors received nearly 900 boxes of diapers, almost 1,400 cots, about 880 tarps and hundreds of boxes of batteries, gas stoves and bed sheets, among other items, Puerto Rico National Guard chief Jose Reyes said.

“The mission continues today,” Reyes said, “and the supplies will also be sent to other areas” as a preventative measure.

About 5,000 people are living in open-air shelters, nervous after the more than 1,000 earthquakes that have struck the southern part of the island since December 28 and which have left hundreds of homes uninhabitable.

Residents were irate when two warehouses – one in the southern city of Ponce and another near San Juan – were found to be filled with thousands of abandoned supplies, apparently never used after Hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017.

The storms’ one-two punch left Puerto Ricans without power for months and killed nearly 3,000 people, according to the local government’s official numbers.

“It is unacceptable what has happened,” Secretary of Public Affairs Osvaldo Soto told journalists after the government on Tuesday made public an inventory of the warehouses.

A Facebook user had on Saturday posted video of one of the facilities filled with undistributed aid.

Governor Wanda Vazquez Garced fired three high-ranking officials and referred the case to the courts.

On Monday, hundreds called for Vazquez Garced’s resignation during a protest in the capital of San Juan, where street demonstrations forced the resignation of her predecessor only six months ago.

US President Donald Trump has accused the Puerto Rican government of incompetence and siphoning off hurricane relief money, triggering a public spat between the president and San Juan’s Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz, as well as the governor Ricardo Rossello.

The Puerto Rican leaders accused Trump of treating the population of the island like second-class citizens.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • Kampot tourism quay ‘90% done’

    Construction on Kampot International Tourism Port – a 4ha quay in Teuk Chhou district about 6km west of Kampot town – has fallen off track, reaching 90 per cent completion, according to a senior Ministry of Tourism official last week. The project is now planned to be finished

  • Demining rat ‘hero’ Magawa dead at 8

    A landmine-hunting rat that was awarded a gold medal for heroism for clearing ordnance from the Cambodian countryside has died, his charity said on January 11. Magawa, a giant African pouched rat originally from Tanzania, helped clear mines from about 225,000sqm of land – the equivalent of 42