Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Racism, misconduct levelled at WHO’s Asia-Pacific chief



Racism, misconduct levelled at WHO’s Asia-Pacific chief

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a press conference on December 20, 2021 at the WHO headquarters in Geneva. AFP

Racism, misconduct levelled at WHO’s Asia-Pacific chief

World Health Organisation head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on January 29 announced an investigation into a “senior staff” member, the UN agency’s Western Pacific chief, over claims of racism and misconduct.

“We have been aware of some concerns since late 2021 and have been following due process. With the cooperation of the staff member, an investigation process is underway,” Tedros said on the final day of the WHO’s executive council meeting in Geneva.

The WHO chief didn’t say when the enquiry opened, adding that “there is a limit to what we can say at this time”.

However Tedros added that “we take these allegations seriously”.

The serious accusations, detailed in an email seen by AFP after the affair was revealed on January 27 by the Associated Press, target the head of the agency’s Western Pacific region Japanese doctor Takeshi Kasai, who has already said he is ready to cooperate in any investigation.

According to AP, dozens of WHO staff members filed an internal complaint in October before sending an email in mid-January to the countries on the UN agency’s executive board.

In the email, they accused Kasai of “authoritarian and racist leadership” adding that he had regularly shared privileged information with the Japanese Foreign Ministry, of not wanting to criticise China and of having “wasted” donor money.

Many countries expressed their concerns over the matter earlier last week.

On January 29, several diplomats again called on the WHO to investigate all allegations of misconduct.

“We take all allegations seriously and expect that independent investigations will be progressed as a matter of priority,” an Australian representative said on January 29.

A British representative said “once again we regret to have heard of this first in the media”.

A Norwegian official said “we need a WHO that we all trust, member states as well as staff, beneficiaries and the global community. This includes creating an organizational culture that promotes good ethics and builds trust within the organization and having solid systems in place to enable this”.

The investigation comes at a time when the WHO is already under great pressure.

The UN health agency has been under intense pressure to make far-reaching changes following revelations in 2020 of widespread sexual abuse by humanitarian workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

On Friday the World Health Organization’s main donor countries demanded that it speeds up and broadens reforms aimed at preventing sexual abuse by staff in the field.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Angkor Beer, 30 Years of Prestige and Still Counting

    Let’s celebrate 30 years of prestige with Angkor Beer. In this 2022, Angkor Beer is 30 years old and has been staying with Cambodian hearts in all circumstances. Head of core beer portfolio, EmYuthousaid, “We have been with Cambodians for three decades now. We, ANGKOR Beer, pride

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,