Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Russia says fired warning shots at UK navy destroyer



Russia says fired warning shots at UK navy destroyer

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The HMS Defender, seen here off the coast of England in 2019, has been carrying out missions in the Black Sea this month. AFP

Russia says fired warning shots at UK navy destroyer

Russia on June 23 said it fired warning shots at a British navy destroyer in the Black Sea after it violated the country’s territorial waters, but the UK denied the incident had occurred.

Incidents involving Western aircraft and ships are not uncommon at Russia’s borders, especially during heightened tensions with Washington, Brussels and London, but rarely result in open fire.

The HMS Defender “was given a preliminary warning that weapons would be used if the state borders of the Russian Federation were violated. It did not react to the warning”, the Russian defence ministry said, according to Interfax news agency.

The ministry added that “a border patrol ship fired warning shots” and a Su-24 aircraft dropped four bombs along the destroyer’s path. It said that the ship then left Russian waters.

But the UK’s defence ministry swiftly denied that the incident had happened.

“No warning shots have been fired at HMS Defender. The Royal Navy ship is conducting innocent passage through Ukrainian territorial waters in accordance with international law,” the ministry said.

London said it believed Russia was “undertaking a gunnery exercise” and had provided prior warning of its activity.

After announcing that it had fired warning shots at HMS Defender – a T45 destroyer – Russia’s defence ministry summoned Britain’s military attache, Interfax reported.

The defence ministry then released a statement denouncing the “dangerous actions” of HMS Defender, describing the incident as a “gross violation of the UN convention” and calling on London to conduct an investigation.

Meanwhile, foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Britain’s ambassador to Russia would be summoned over the incident.

“We qualify this as a gross British provocation that runs counter to international law and Russian law,” she said.

According to Moscow, the incident took place off the coast of Cape Fiolent on Crimea, which Russia annexed from Ukraine in 2014, also claiming the peninsula’s coastal waters.

The Royal Navy said earlier this month that HMS Defender had “peeled away” from its strike group conducting NATO operations in the Mediterranean to carry out “her own set of missions” in the Black Sea.

On June 23, UK defence secretary Ben Wallace said in a statement that HMS Defender had been carrying out a “routine transit from Odessa towards Georgia across the Black Sea”.

Earlier on that day, President Vladimir Putin said Russia was “concerned” about the NATO build-up near Russian borders.

Addressing an international security conference in Moscow, Putin said the alliance “refuses to constructively consider our proposals to de-escalate tensions and reduce the risk of unpredictable incidents”.

The US periodically sends warships to the region in a show of support for Ukraine, often drawing protests from Russia.

Ukraine’s foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba on June 23 slammed Russia’s “aggressive and provocative policy” in the Black Sea region, describing it on Twitter as a “constant threat” to Kiev and its allies.

At the height of tensions over Ukraine this spring after Russia built up troops on its border and in Crimea, Moscow stepped up military exercises in the Black Sea and Washington warned it would send two warships.

Those ships were never dispatched, as Russia pulled back its forces and the tensions eased.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old