Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Saudis propose ceasefire initiative to Yemen’s Huthi rebels as conflict heats up



Saudis propose ceasefire initiative to Yemen’s Huthi rebels as conflict heats up

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Smoke billows following a reported airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition in the Yemeni capital Sanaa. AFP

Saudis propose ceasefire initiative to Yemen’s Huthi rebels as conflict heats up

Saudi Arabia on March 22 offered Yemen’s Huthi rebels a “comprehensive” UN-supervised ceasefire, as part of a series of fresh proposals aimed at ending a catastrophic six-year conflict.

But the Huthis swiftly dismissed the initiative, which comes as the Iran-backed rebels escalate attacks on the kingdom – including its oil facilities – and push to seize the Saudi-backed Yemeni government’s last northern stronghold in the war-torn nation.

The initiative includes “a comprehensive ceasefire across the country under the supervision of the United Nations”, a Saudi government statement said.

Riyadh also proposed reopening the international airport in Sanaa, the rebel-held capital, and restarting political negotiations between the Yemeni government and the Huthis, the statement added.

The kingdom’s plan also called for depositing taxes and customs revenue from ships carrying oil to the Red Sea port of Hodeida – a key conduit for desperately needed aid – in a joint account of the Yemeni central bank.

“We want the guns to fall completely silent,” said Saudi foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan.

“The initiative will take effect as soon as the Huthis agree to it,” he added, hailing it as “an opportunity to end the crisis” in Yemen.

The Yemeni government welcomed the initiative, while the Huthis brushed it off as “nothing new” as they reiterated their demand that a Saudi-led air and sea blockade on Yemen be completely lifted.

“Saudi Arabia must declare an end to the aggression and lift the blockade completely,” said Huthi spokesman Mohammed Abdulsalam, according to the rebel’s Al-Masirah television.

Riyadh led a military coalition into Yemen in 2015 to prop up the internationally recognised government, but it has struggled to oust the highly motivated rebels.

The coalition says it enforced a naval and air blockade to prevent the smuggling of weapons to the rebels from Iran – allegations Tehran denies.

‘Messaging to Washington’

Saudi Arabia’s proposal follows the failure of a unilateral ceasefire last year.

Last April, the coalition announced a temporary ceasefire in war-wracked Yemen to prevent the spread of coronavirus, but the Huthis dismissed that initiative as political manoeuvring.

Elana DeLozier, a fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said: “Coming out publicly with a ceasefire plan – as the Saudis have done unsuccessfully in the past as well – is meant to force the Huthis to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ publicly.

“Their rejection of the proposal allows the Saudi-led coalition to claim the Huthis are the problem.

“In that sense, this plan may be Saudi public messaging to Washington to try to make the pitch that they are serious about peace and it is the Huthis who are not,” she added.

The latest proposal follows a renewed push by the new US administration of President Joe Biden to revive stalled peace talks.

The US, which has paused arms sales to Saudi Arabia and pulled support for its offensive operations in Yemen, has condemned a recent spike in Huthi drone and missile attacks on the kingdom.

A drone strike sparked a fire at a Riyadh oil refinery on March 19, in the second major assault this month on Saudi energy installations claimed by the insurgents.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • Cambodia's poverty cut in half from 2009 to 2019: World Bank report

    A report published by the World Bank on November 28 states that Cambodia’s national poverty rate fell by almost half between 2009 and 2019, but the Covid-19 pandemic recently reversed some of the poverty reduction progress. Cambodia’s poverty rate dropped from 33.8 to 17.8 per cent over the 10