Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Taliban takes Ghazni army base



Taliban takes Ghazni army base

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Afghan security forces and militia stand along a road during clashes between Taliban militants and Afghan security forces in Ghazni province on Sunday. AFP

Taliban takes Ghazni army base

Taliban fighters overran a northern Afghan army base, officials said on Tuesday, killing at least 14 soldiers with dozens feared captured in a stinging blow to security forces already struggling to push insurgents from eastern Ghazni.

The fall of the base in Ghormach district of volatile Faryab province came with security forces – who have struggled to hold back the Taliban since NATO combat troops pulled out in 2014 – already stretched by the days of fighting in Ghazni, a strategic provincial capital two hours from Kabul.

Militants gained control of the base after days of heavy fighting, according to army spokesman for northern Afghanistan Mohammad Hanif Rezaee.

He said around 100 soldiers were on the base when it was first attacked on Sunday.

“It is a tragedy that the base fell to the enemy. Some soldiers were killed, some captured and some fled to nearby hills,” Rezaee said.

Faryab MP Hashim Otaq said that 14 soldiers were killed and about 40 others were captured by Taliban fighters in the base, known as Chenaya.

Tahir Rehmani – head of Faryab’s provincial council – said the base fell after the soldiers begged for reinforcements and air support from Kabul but were ultimately ignored.

“They were too busy with Ghazni,” Rehmani said.

The city, which the Taliban first assaulted late onThursday, remains in government hands, officials have said.

But the insurgents appeared entrenched there on Tuesday, according to residents who said they were burning buildings, killing civilians and firing on security forces conducting a clearing operation.

Afghan security forces, beset by killings, desertions and under intense pressure, have been struggling to beat back insurgents since US-led NATO troops ended their combat mission in December 2014.

The attack on Ghazni is the largest tactical onslaught by the Taliban since an unprecedented truce in June brought fighting between security forces and the Taliban to a brief stop, providing battle-worn Afghans some welcome relief.

Analysts have said the insurgents may be seeking to demonstrate strength as they come under increasing pressure since the ceasefire to join peace talks.

Fears were growing of civilian casualties in Ghazni as Afghan security forces backed by US airpower struggled to push the Taliban out on the fifth day of fighting.

‘Ghost city’

The United Nations said unverified reports put civilian casualties at more than 100, with residents also at risk from several days of US airstrikes.

An MP from Ghazni, Shah Gul Rezaye, said on Tuesday that some parts of the city had been cleared.

But in others “the Taliban have positioned their fighters in high buildings shooting at security forces from there”, he added.

Communication networks remained largely down, making any information difficult to verify.

“Ghazni is a ghost city now. The Taliban are going from house to house to find government officials or their relatives to kill,” said one resident, Sayed Zia. “Those who can are fleeing.”

Another resident also said the Taliban were killing civilians who refused to help them.

“I saw two trucks full of coffins going toward a cemetery in the city. They all seemed to be civilians,” said Abdullah, who asked to only use one name.

“The city is full of smoke. Everywhere they go they set the places on fire,” he said, adding that shops were being looted, with water and food scarce.

Other residents have told of bodies littering the streets of the city in recent days.

“So far the fighting has reportedly resulted in 110 to 150 civilian casualties. The numbers still need to be verified,” said a report by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Reports the Taliban are hiding in residents’ homes and marketplaces “heightened the risk of civilian casualties arising from any military aerial response”, the UN warned.

Bombs placed along the road leading north and south from the city also “prevented civilians from safely fleeing the violence”, it said.

On Monday the Afghan defence minister said at least 100 security forces had been killed in the fighting so far, and “20-30” civilians.

Ghazni lies along the major Kabul-Kandahar highway, effectively serving as a gateway between Kabul and the militant strongholds in the south.

MOST VIEWED

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth