Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UK, EU extend Brexit talks after ditching make-or-break deadline



UK, EU extend Brexit talks after ditching make-or-break deadline

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen. AFP

UK, EU extend Brexit talks after ditching make-or-break deadline

The EU and Britain were set to return to the negotiating table on December 14 after agreeing to abandon a supposed make-or-break deadline for a post-Brexit trade pact.

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson had said last week they would decide whether an agreement was possible by the end of December 13, but agreed in a crisis call to “go the extra mile”.

“Our negotiating teams have been working day and night over recent days,” von der Leyen said in a video message, reading out a joint statement agreed with Johnson.

“We have accordingly mandated our negotiators to continue the talks and to see whether an agreement can even at this late stage be reached,” the leaders said.

They did not offer a new deadline but Conservative Party lawmaker Mark Harper suggested the extended talks could go right to the wire, with less than three weeks until Britain leaves the single market at the end of the month.

He told the Press Association: “Many of us are fully anticipating it’s entirely possible we might be returning to Parliament between Christmas and new year to scrutinise this and vote it through if a deal is done.”

EU negotiator Michel Barnier and Britain’s David Frost held talks late on December 12 and early on December 13.

They have been alternating between the capitals but a European official said that, for the moment, they would remain in Brussels.

Barnier was set to brief European ambassadors on December 14 morning about the current state of negotiations, EU Council spokesman Sebastian Fischer said.

Johnson insisted that an agreement was far from sure.

“I’m afraid we’re still very far apart on some key things, but where there’s life there’s hope,” he said at Downing Street after briefing his cabinet about the call.

“The UK certainly won’t be walking away from the talks. I still think there’s a deal to be done if our partners want to do it,” he added.

Reports suggested the two sides were exploring a potential deal on how to respond if their regulations diverge over time and threaten fair competition.

But Britain cannot compromise on the “fundamental nature” of Brexit, controlling UK laws and fisheries, the prime minister said.

Without a deal, cross-Channel trade will revert to World Trade Organisation rules, with tariffs driving up prices and generating paperwork for importers, and the failed negotiation could poison relations between London and the continent for years to come.

“Either way, whatever happens, the UK will do very, very well,” Johnson insisted.

Ireland stands to lose out more than any other EU country if trade with its larger neighbour is disrupted, and cautiously welcomed the reprieve.

Foreign minister Simon Coveney tweeted: “Time to hold our nerve and allow the negotiators to inch progress forward, even at this late stage. Joint statement on Brexit negotiations is a good signal. A deal clearly very difficult, but possible.”

The hardline pro-Brexit faction in Johnson’s own British Conservatives was unconvinced, however, and members of Parliament fired their own tweets warning against any concessions.

Much of the text of a possible trade deal is said to be ready, but Britain and Brussels are wrangling over a mechanism to allow for retaliation if UK and EU laws diverge in a way that puts continental firms at a competitive disadvantage.

“The defence of the single market is a red line for the European Union,” an EU source said. “What we have proposed to the United Kingdom respects British sovereignty.”

In London, the government insists that Britain is ready to leave the union and handle its own affairs after 47 years of close economic integration.

Downing Street says it has mapped out “every single foreseeable scenario” for problems after December 31, and “no one needs to worry about our food, medicine or vital supply chains”.

The government says it is ready to offer hefty new support for sectors in the firing line such as farming and autos, but British business groups are aghast at the lack of clarity on future trading rules.

Scotland’s nationalist government meanwhile demanded an end to “the crippling uncertainty” of a possible no-deal Brexit coming on top of the coronavirus pandemic.

And the European Parliament is deeply unhappy as time runs out for a thorough review of any pact before the year-end deadline.

“Irresponsible and bitter,” senior German member of the European Parliament Bernd Lange tweeted about the drawn-out saga, warning that serious ratification is becoming “increasingly impossible”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting