Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US judge rules Prince Andrew sex assault lawsuit can proceed



US judge rules Prince Andrew sex assault lawsuit can proceed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A US judge on Wednesday denied Prince Andrew’s plea to dismiss a sexual assault lawsuit brought against the British royal, paving the way for the case to proceed, a court filing showed. AFP

US judge rules Prince Andrew sex assault lawsuit can proceed

A US judge ruled on January 12 that a sexual assault lawsuit brought against Prince Andrew can move forward, piling pressure on the royal and causing further embarrassment for the British monarchy.

New York judge Lewis Kaplan said he “denied in all respects” Andrew’s motion to dismiss the civil complaint by accuser Virginia Giuffre, who says the prince abused her when she was 17.

Giuffre alleges that late disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein lent her out for sex with his wealthy and powerful associates, including to Andrew, an allegation that Queen Elizabeth II’s second son has repeatedly and strenuously denied.

Andrew’s lawyers had last week urged Kaplan to throw out the suit, citing a settlement that Giuffre signed in 2009 with Epstein.

Andrew’s attorney Andrew Brettler said Giuffre had “waived her rights” to sue other defendants in relation to alleged sex crimes committed by Epstein.

But Kaplan said in his 46-page decision that the agreement was “riddled with drafting problems and ambiguities”.

“The parties have articulated at least two reasonable interpretations of the critical language. The agreement therefore is ambiguous,” he wrote.

The deal made public for the first time by a New York court this month showed that Giuffre agreed to drop a civil claim against Epstein for $500,000.

The settlement contained a provision purporting to protect “other potential defendants” from being sued related to alleged sexual abuse committed by Epstein, who killed himself in jail in 2019.

The agreement mentioned no names, but Andrew’s legal team argued that it covered the royal.

Kaplan said, though, that it could not be determined that the agreement was intended “to benefit Prince Andrew” or “others comparable to him”.

The judge also noted that Andrew was “not a party to the agreement between Epstein and Ms. Giuffre”.

“As a very general matter, the only persons who can enforce a provision of a contract are parties to that contract – the people who agreed to it,” he wrote.

Giuffre sued the prince for unspecified damages last year, alleging he sexually assaulted her in 2001 when she was a minor under US law.

Maxwell conviction

She says Andrew assaulted her at Epstein’s home in New York, and on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.

Giuffre alleges the prince also sexually abused her at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, who in December was found guilty of sex trafficking minors for Epstein.

The 61-year-old Andrew has not been criminally charged.

Kaplan noted that he wasn’t ruling on whether or not Giuffre’s allegations were true.

“The law prohibits the court from considering at this stage of the proceedings defendant’s efforts to cast doubt on the truth of Ms Giuffre’s allegations, even though his efforts would be permissible at trial,” said the judge.

The case could go before a jury trial in the latter half of this year if Giuffre and Andrew are unable to reach a settlement.

Former New York attorney Richard Signorelli described the ruling as “devastating” for Andrew.

“He’s facing very serious consequences,” Signorelli said, adding that paying Giuffre off could “potentially be very costly.”

Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies said she was “pleased” that “evidence will now be taken concerning her claims against him”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Massive stingrays may live in Mekong’s deep pools

    US scientists have suggested that unexplored deep pools in the Mekong River in an area of Stung Treng could potentially be home to significant populations of giant freshwater stingrays, one of the world’s largest freshwater fish species. This comes as a fisherman hooked a 180

  • PM takes time to meet, greet Cambodians living in the US

    After landing in the US ahead of the ASEAN-US Special Summit, Prime Minister Hun Sen was received by over 1,000 Cambodian-Americans including political analysts who welcomed him with greetings, fist bumps and selfies. Hun Sen also met with analyst Mak Hoeun, who had allegedly spoken ill

  • PM heads to Washington for ASEAN-US special summit

    Regional and international issues and how to bring the ASEAN-US partnership to another level will be discussed at length as Prime Minister Hun Sen and his ministers arrive in Washington, DC, for a special summit on May 12-13. During the trip, Hun Sen and ASEAN

  • National Assembly refutes EU resolution

    The National Assembly (NA) has hit back at a European Parliament resolution condemning the political and human rights situation in Cambodia, calling it another display of the Parliament’s “double standards”. Key points of the resolution include a warning that the Parliament could exclude the

  • Soaring global fuel prices: an opportunity for Cambodia?

    Cambodia is feeling the squeeze from the soaring global coal and oil prices. Electricity du Cambodge (EDC)would certainly be hurting from this reality, and most likely re-assessing its plans to add more coal power stations. EDC buys half of Cambodia’s electricity from plants

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when