Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - World’s largest child porn site busted



World’s largest child porn site busted

World’s largest child porn site busted

International law enforcement authorities announced on Wednesday that a global investigation into child pornography sold for bitcoin on the underground internet had reaped 337 arrests and the shutdown of the dark web’s most notorious paedophile site.

Authorities from the US, Britain, South Korea and other countries said they had rescued at least 23 minors who were victims of sexual exploitation and often video-recorded by abusers who then sold the videos on the now-shuttered “Welcome to Video” site on the darknet.

The website sold the videos to users for bitcoin, which makes it extremely difficult to track the buyer.

The darknet is a collection of peer-to-peer deep web portals, similar to the internet.

Users most often access it by using the Tor network, created by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a secure, private and anonymous way to access information without divulging their internet protocol (IP) address.

A 2014 study by the University of Portsmouth in the UK found that exploitative images of children were by far the most popular content on the tor network.

Gareth Owen, the author of the study, told the BBC in 2015 that the images accounted for about about 75 per cent of traffic on the Tor network.

From June 2015, when “Welcome to Video” started up, to March 2018, the website received at least 420 bitcoin virtual currency – around $370,000 at the time of the payments – in at least 7,300 transactions, the US Justice Department said in an indictment.

The server, which had about 250,000 videos, was seized by US, British and South Korean police on March 5, 2018, and the operator, 23-year-old Son Jong-Woo was arrested and jailed in Korea.

Since then hundreds of users from 12 countries have been tracked down and arrested.

On Wednesday, US authorities unsealed a US indictment of Son as well as announcing the seizure of virtual currency accounts of 24 people in five countries that had been “used to fund the website and promote the exploitation of children.”

The collaboration between global law enforcement agencies was sparked by the British investigation into a British scientist for child sex offences, according to Britain’s National Crime Agency (NCA).

Matthew Falder was sentenced to 25 years in jail in 2017 after admitting 137 counts of online abuse, including the encouragement of child rape and even the abuse of a baby.

“The website monetised the sexual abuse of children and was one of the first to offer sickening videos for sale using the cryptocurrency bitcoin,” the NCA said in a statement.

The NCA said seven men have already been convicted in Britain since the first suspect was arrested in 2017.

One man “was jailed for 22 years for raping a five-year-old boy and appearing on Welcome To Video sexually abusing a three-year-old girl”.

In Washington, the US Department of Justice said the site operated “the largest child sexual exploitation market by volume of content” when it was taken down.

US authorities have investigated 92 individuals in the case. Many of those arrested have been charged and sentenced.

“This was one of the first times that law enforcement saw the use of cryptocurrency in trafficking child pornography,” said US Attorney Jessie Liu.

“The site hosted more than a quarter-million videos and users downloaded more than one million files,” she said.

Don Fort of the US Internal Revenue Service, which took part in the investigation, said it demonstrated that criminals can be tracked on the darknet and cannot conceal their identities behind cryptocurrency accounts.

“You went on the dark web, thinking that your actions were anonymous, but they weren’t, and we found you,” he told a press conference in Washington.

“Our agents have once again proved that there’s nowhere that you can hide.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Angkor Beer, 30 Years of Prestige and Still Counting

    Let’s celebrate 30 years of prestige with Angkor Beer. In this 2022, Angkor Beer is 30 years old and has been staying with Cambodian hearts in all circumstances. Head of core beer portfolio, EmYuthousaid, “We have been with Cambodians for three decades now. We, ANGKOR Beer, pride

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,