The British Embassy in Phnom Penh is part of a world-wide network of 230 Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are currently looking to recruit a Economics and Prosperity Officer to join our dynamic team.
The jobholder will bring knowledge and expertise of economics and trade and will act as the lead expert on a wide range of macro and micro-economic issues in Cambodia. The officer will also be working closely with the UK Trade team in promoting British and Cambodian bilateral trade. This role would suit someone who has strong analytical skills, and can work confidently with a range of senior stakeholders in government, civil society and international institutions.
• Economics: Monitor, analyse and report on developments in Cambodia, as well as contribute to the analysis of trends within SE Asia, in cooperation with other British embassies in the region.
• Act as the Embassy’s expert on trade policy issues such as Everything But Arms, World Trade Organisation obligations, Lower Mekong and governance.
• Commercial diplomacy: Understand the political and economic context for trade and investment between the UK and Cambodia, and within ASEAN, as well as its implications for UK companies.
• Climate Change and Green Growth: Support the policy dialogue with the Cambodian government and other partners on the UN Framework Convention, promoting exchanges on green growth, and encouraging effective mitigation and adaptation to the effects of climate change.
• Project Management: Initiate project ideas and act as policy lead to support the Embassy’s business plan in all the areas above.
• Responsible for public and digital diplomacy work in support of all the areas above.
• Education to at least degree level, preferably in a subject relevant to the position
• A strong track record of relevant experience, achievements and enthusiasm for the subject matter
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English (IELTS certification an advantage) and Khmer, including the ability to write reports and give presentations, and use MS Office packages routinely
• Able to think independently, research and analyse issues, and make policy recommendations
• Good networking skills, and the confidence to represent the Embassy in dealing with senior contacts, including within government
• Seeing the Big Picture
• Making Effective Decisions
• Leading & Communicating
• Managing a Quality Service
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary, benefits, leave entitlement and training opportunities.
We also offer 18 days of leave entitlement per annum pro rata.
Please send your CV and the completed application form, which can be downloaded from our website at https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-phnom-penh/about/recruitment to [email protected]
All applications must be received on or before 12 November 2014. Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Employment offers are subject to the successful clearance of pre-employment checks. You must be eligible to work in Cambodia. No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Phnom Penh are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.