Fauna & Flora International (FFI), founded in 1903, is the world’s longest-established international conservation organisation. With its head office in Cambridge, UK, today FFI is active in over 40 countries worldwide, and has been operating in Cambodia since 1996. Our vision is to create sustainable future for the planet where biodiversity is conserved by the people living closest to it. We aim to do this through the conservation of threatened species and ecosystems worldwide, choosing solutions that are sustainable, based on sound science and take account of human need. The FFI Cambodia Programme is recruiting for askilled and committed Forest Management and Silviculture Specialist to work on the USAID-funded HARVEST (Helping Address Rural Vulnerability and Ecosystem STablility) project. This is a full-time position.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reporting to: FFI HARVEST Project Manager
Location: This position is field based with regular travel to Community Forest sites in Pursat,Battambang,Kompong Thom and Siem Reap
The role will provide technical inputs to the NRM and Forestry component of the HARVEST projectat thirtyCommunity Forestry sites on forest management;silviculture techniques; commercialization practices; fire prevention and integration of climate change resilience practices to meet project targets as required.
• Develop and deliver community forest management and silviculture trainings to project staff and clients in the field in accordance with local and national government guidelines
• Conduct field trainings for staff and project clients on fire prevention and fire management planning
• Identify forest species and management practices that are resilient to climate change
• Provide technical supervision to forestry / NRM technicians on forest management activities
• Work with national staff to design training materials and extension programme.
• Maintain relationships with project stakeholders, including communities and project partners.
• Build the capacity needs of national staff and project lead clients, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
• Represent the project and FFI, as required, at national for a and liaise with other projects and stakeholders
• Ensure all internal and external reporting requirements are met related to the project.
• Postgraduate degree in natural resource management, environmental science, forestry or relevant degree
• Skilled in tropical forestry, silviculture, forest management techniques such as thinning, coppicing, rotational harvesting practices
• Six to eight years’ experience in NRM / Forestry based project implementation
• Good coordination and organisational skills and experience in workshops, meetings and seminars planning and organization
• Team worker and good communication ability and skills
• Ability to work under pressure and willingness to learn new things and update knowledge and skills
• Fluency in written and oral English and Khmer
• Good computer skills and knowledge using Microsoft Office Programs
Interested candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in English to the following address: FFI Cambodia Programme, #19, Street 360, BoeungKeng Kong I, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, or, submit a soft copy of their application to [email protected], marking the application Forest Management & Silviculture Specialist. FFI is an equal opportunity employer. Only short-listed Candidates will be contacted for an interview.There will be no return of applications. The deadline for applicants is Friday 7th March 2014.