Plan International is a global organization that works side by side with communities in 50 developing countries to end the cycle of poverty for children and their families. Plan works at the community level to develop customized solutions and ensure long-term sustainability. Our solutions are designed up-front to be owned by communities and range from clean water and healthcare programs to education projects, economic empowerment, child protection initiatives and youth civic engagement. Across program areas, Plan’s activities are guided by a Child-Centered Community Development (CCCD) approach, which is rights-based, holistic, gender-sensitive, and inclusive.
Project and Position Description
Plan International is seeking Project Director candidates for the anticipated “Improving Childhood Nutrition and Health in Key Vulnerable Areas in Laos” Program. The candidate is expected to have a health background specifically in nutrition or WASH/Sanitation with experience in the Asia region.
The Project Director will have authority and oversight over the project, including managing all activities of sub-recipients, coordinating all program-focused strategic planning and decision making, and staff management. The Project Director will serve as key liaison with USAID, the Government of the Lao PDR, implementing partners, and other stakeholders. Primary responsibilities include providing overall leadership, management, and general technical direction of the program, assuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and ensuring program performance, achievement of program requirements and adherence to donor regulations.
• Provide overall technical and managerial oversight and leadership for the project.
• Ensure efficient management of financial resources, including the review and approval of program budgets and monitoring expenditures.
• Supervise field operations, administration, logistics and procurement.
• Oversee management, delivery, and monitoring of sub-grants.
• Supervise program monitoring, evaluation, and reporting and ensure quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required by the grant and donors.
• Assure full compliance with all USAID, Plan, and other fiduciary regulations.
• Serve as a principal liaison with Government of the Lao PDR, USAID, project partners and stakeholders, and other donors to ensure effective program implementation and to build lasting relationships.
• Minimum Master’s degree in Public Health, or related field; Ph.D. or DrPH highly preferred.
• Strong knowledge of Nutrition and WASH/Sanitation interventions in the Asia Region, ideally mainland SE Asia.
• Experience managing a large child focused program for an international NGO.
• Significant experience managing large-scale, multi-year US government-funded programs. With a strong track record of successfully managing USAID-funded programs including previously serving as a Chief of Party in the Asia Region.
• Demonstrated knowledge of USAID project management including USAID rules and regulation and reporting requirements.
• Demonstrated knowledge about gender and development, and demonstrated experience and proficiency in managing programs that mainstream gender.
• Demonstrated ability to implement projects with rigorous timelines and deliverables and to track program quality through donor approved monitoring and evaluation systems.
• Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, local and international staff.
• Ability to respond on short notice and plan and execute several activities at once.
• Ability to work under pressure, as part of a team or independently, and meet deadlines consistently.
• Proven experience hiring, training, and supervising teams of international and local staff.
• Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate diverse teams.
• Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
• Lao or Thai language skills will be an advantage.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.