Conservation International is one of the global leaders in using nature-based solutions to combat climate change. There is a significant growth in the demand for projects financed through carbon sales and offsets, REDD+ and Blue Carbon projects in particular. Conservation International is rapidly expanding its portfolio of REDD+ and blue carbon initiatives, which go beyond protecting forests by integrating sustainable production and focusing on improving human well-being.
CI’s Greater Mekong Program is seeking a Regional Carbon Technical Director to assist in developing a pipeline of new investable avoided deforestation, restoration and blue carbon site- and jurisdictional-scale initiatives based in Conservation International’s office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
The Director will be responsible for conducting feasibility assessments of project and jurisdictional opportunities for REDD+, conducting field visits for identified opportunities, and then moving these to full-scale development including elaboration of Project Description Documents (PDD) as well as leading the validation and verification processes for those being certified to voluntary market standards like the VCS and CCB, as well as compliance markets, such as Japan’s Joint Crediting Mechanism. The Regional Carbon Technical Director will be working in close collaboration with CI’s Conservation Finance Division, and will primarily be responsible for leading the development of CI’s REDD+ portfolio in the Greater Mekong Region (Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand), but also dedicate time (~20%) to additional work on nature-based climate solutions within the larger Asia-Pacific region and any other work assignments from the above.
• Masters degree in environmental science or management, climate science, or related fields;
• At least 10 years work experience with REDD+ project development and implementation;
• At least 10 years work experience with the application and use of carbon accounting approaches and methodologies;
• Demonstrated experience with getting REDD+ projects through the full (e.g., VCS and CCBS) validation and verification process, including the development of Project Description Document (PDDs), Monitoring & Implementation Reports (MIRs) and Validation and Verification Body (VVB) audits;
• Demonstrated knowledge on forest and biodiversity conservation, carbon accounting, national and international REDD+ policy frameworks, including Forest Emissions Reference Level and livelihood development approaches;
• Experience with training field teams on developing and implementing forest, carbon and biodiversity monitoring plans;
• Excellent analytical skills;
• Proven team player able to work effectively across cultures and within and across organizations;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
• Highly organized and strong attention to detail;
• Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to build on existing knowledge to develop new approaches.
Full JD and Interested candidates should send CV and cover letter via email to: [email protected] or hand delivery to CI Office: Phnom Penh Center, Building F–3rd Floor, Preah Sothearos, Tonle Basac, Chamcarmon, Phnom Penh, Tel: +855 23 214 627. CI is an Equal Employment Opportunity. Only applicants short-listed for interviews will be notified. Applications close on September 30, 2020.