Research Officer – 2 years with possible extension
Phnom Penh with travel to provinces
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We believe in the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
Overall Purpose of Job: To work primary on delivery of qualitative research study to inform the strategy, content and quality of BBC Media Action’s media development and development communications projects, under the supervision of the Senior Research Officer (SRO).
• Designing Research Methodology - Work with Senior Research Officer to design and draft research instruments, particularly those used for qualitative work. Input and help draft research design – sampling and logistics.
• Conducting fieldwork – Recruit, train, coordinate and quality control fieldwork, including research administration and organization of fieldwork with support from SRO. Moderate focus groups and conduct in-depth interviews. Continually looking at ways to improve data collection both feeding into research design, moderation and analysis of data.
• Analysis and reporting – Conduct analysis of qualitative data, prepare reports and present key findings. These will then be finalized by the Research Manager.
• Presenting Findings - Create PowerPoint presentations and write reports in English. Present findings to production teams and project management.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Bachelor degree in a related field.
• Knowledge of qualitative research methodology.
• Experience in conducting focus groups and in-depth interviews in urban and rural settings.
• Excellent written and verbal English.
• Experience of writing precise and clear reports and briefing documents in English.
• Excellent presentation and communication skills.
• Experience in administrative work and/or coordinating logistics of research fieldwork.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines.
• Has an enquiring mind and shows initiative.
• Good interpersonal, communication and organisational skills, able to work well as part of a team
• Good IT skills, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Desirable skills and experience, but not required,
• Experience conducting research with young people in Cambodia
• Experience in media research
• Ability to work closely with a production team in applying research findings to media outputs.
• An understanding of, or enthusiasm to learn about, communication strategies, development issues
Interested applicants should submit a CV with an introduction letter detailing skills and outlining what they can bring to the job. Please do not submit certificates at this stage. Send to: BBC Media Action, #296 (4th-7th floor) Street 271, Phnom Penh, (PO Box 155). Or email [email protected] Tel: 023 997 435.
Only short-listed candidates will be called to attend an interview.
Closing Date: 23rd June 2014. The BBC is an equal opportunities employer.