Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Duo describe site’s brutality




Duo describe site’s brutality

Duo describe site’s brutality

A survey technician and a former village chief tasked to work at the notorious “January 1” dam site in Kampong Thom province told the Khmer Rouge tribunal yesterday about the appalling working conditions at the site, which drove people to exhaustion and near death.

Pech Sokha, who testified via video link, was specifically brought from Phnom Penh by the regime along with three others to work as a surveying technician. The dam was meant to provide “agricultural irrigation for the nearby rice fields”, he said, but the dam’s projected benefits were overshadowed by the excessive labour that workers had to endure at the site.

“The overall image was that it was a happy act, but in reality, everything was horrible,” Sokha said. “The food was insufficient and the manual labour was hard . . . but no one dared to complain.” Sokha worked on the dam from its inauguration in early 1977 until a few months into 1978.

He never witnessed anyone die from starvation during his time at the site, but said he saw two people from his surveying team disappear.

“They were summoned by Angkar with a handwritten letter that they showed me and never returned. I assumed they were dead, because I never saw them again,” Sokha said.

Former Prey Sra Ngae village chief Or Ho also continued answering questions from the defence. Ho, who said he was later removed from his post due to Angkar’s “lack of trust” in him, spoke about the experiences of the 100-person unit he helped supervise.
“We were not allowed to let the workers take a rest,” Ho said. “If he or she could not really work, we asked them to work slowly.”

Workers who were unable to work due to sicknesses were transported to mobile hospitals located at the worksite and to district hospitals if their conditions worsened.

Ho said he counted himself lucky for not befalling the same fate as other leaders sacked by the Khmer Rouge. “I have no idea why they lost trust in me,” he said. “From most of those who were removed by Angkar, very few survived. But I was not sent for re-education.”

Sokha will continue his testimony today.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15