New suspects on the horizon?

New suspects on the horizon?

There has been a good deal of buzz lately that Co-Prosecutors at the ECCC are close to deciding whether they will pursue additional suspects. The number of former Khmers Rouge who will go before the tribunal has long been a point of contention and speculation, and critics of the court argue that the scope of prosecutions has been artificially constrained by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Suspects in addition to the five already in custody have been identified (though not publicly). However, international and Cambodian Co-Prosecutors have reportedly been unable to decide whether to pursue charges against them.

According to a recent story posted by the Inter Press Service, between two to six additional suspects are under consideration. But pursuing new prosecutions could be tricky.

For example, Sou Met and Meah Muth, high-ranking Khmer Rouge military officials mentioned in Stephen Heder's Seven Candidates for Prosecution, went on to hold senior positions in the current Cambodian army, according to the IPS article.

Moreover, "one problem with including these two as prime suspects is that it extends the scope considerably beyond the highest bodies of the Centre, raising the question of how many others held equal rank and would therefore logically be included as prime suspects," Helen Jarvis and Tom Fawthrop write in Getting away with Genocide? Elusive Justice and the Khmer Rouge Tribunal.

Still, to demonstrate the court's independence from Cambodian political influence and to more accurately reflect the country's history, Co-Prosecutors should name additional suspects, Beth Van Schaack writes in her commentary Who's Next?

"Were the Extraordinary Chambers to limit their consideration to these five suspects, they would paint an inaccurate and stilted picture of the way in which crimes were committed under the Khmer Rouge," she writes. "... academic research suggests that Khmer Rouge cadre were given considerable discretion to implement the sometime cryptic directives emanating from the Standing Committee."

While I don't know how close Co-Prosecutors truly are to deciding about additional suspects, I will post as soon as I have any information.

 

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on