Prosecutors complete submissions for Duch case

Prosecutors complete submissions for Duch case

Exactly one year after filing their Introductory Submission -- requesting the arrests of the five defendants now in custody -- Co-Prosecutors for the Khmer Rouge Tribunal have finished their Final Submission in the case of Comrade Duch. This is the information the Co-Investigating Judges will use for a potential indictment to send Duch to trial.

The Final Submission consists of nearly 200 pages of "factual and legal arguments," and "represents a comprehensive overview of what the Co-Prosecutors deem to be the relevant evidence contained in the case file," according to a release from the ECCC.

Co-Prosecutors argue that the Tuol Sleng torture chief should be charged with crimes against humanity, grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions and the crimes of torture and homicide under the Cambodian Penal Code of 1956. To gather necessary evidence, over 63 witnesses were interviewed by the Co-Investigating Judges and Duch himself consented to 21 interviews.

 

All of these testimonies have "provided a harrowing depiction of the crimes committed at S-21," according to the court. "That evidence brought forth at the trial will stand as a public and permanent testimony of the brutality of the regime and the criminality of those who functioned within it."

Of note: The prosecutors have filed their Final Submission nearly three weeks in advance of their August 7 deadline. This gives those of us watching the court hope that a trial for Duch may, indeed, begin in September.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on