Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Berlin film fest to go forward in person as Covid surges



Berlin film fest to go forward in person as Covid surges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Artistic director Carlo Chatrian (right) and managing director Mariette Rissenbeek of the International Berlin Film Festival Berlinale pose for photos during a media event on Wednesday. AFP

Berlin film fest to go forward in person as Covid surges

The Berlinale, Europe’s first major film festival of the year, will take place next month as an in-person event, organisers confirmed Wednesday, just as the Omicron wave is expected to peak in Germany.

Surprising some observers expecting it to go online for the second year running, the Berlinale announced a programme with 18 films in competition.

It includes new movies from France’s Francois Ozon and Claire Denis, Carol screenwriter Phyllis Nagy and previous winner Paolo Taviani of Italy.

Expecting thousands of guests from around the world, festival directors Mariette Rissenbeek and Carlo Chatrian told a virtual news conference they had come up with a plan with state health authorities for its 72nd edition.

It includes a shorter programme, requirements for participants to be vaccinated or recovered from Covid-19 and smaller audiences to keep participants safe.

“We have decided to go with an in-presence festival because we really believe that the collective experience is at the centre of a film festival,” Chatrian said.

Berlinale, which ranks along with Cannes and Venice among Europe’s top cinema showcases, is set to run between February 10 and 20.

But the screenings for reporters, critics and industry participants have been curtailed to seven days, followed by four days of movies for the general public.

Cinemas and theatres are still open in Germany but most large events and fairs across the country have been cancelled to try to curb the spread of the virus.

We need cinema

The announcement came as Germany’s daily toll of new Covid-19 cases topped 100,000 for the first time, with Health Minister Karl Lauterbach predicting the current wave of infections to crest in “mid-February”.

Prestigious US festival Sundance, which has a long-standing partnership with the Berlinale, will start Thursday as an entirely virtual event.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
International Berlin Film Festival Berlinale artistic director Carlo Chatrian (right) and managing director Mariette Rissenbeek pose prior to the official programme presentation, in Berlin on Wednesday. AFP

German Culture Minister Claudia Roth said last week that the government had signed off on the live event to give the battered sector a boost.

“We want the festival to send a signal to the entire film industry, to cinemas and moviegoers, and to culture as a whole,” she said. “We need cinema.”

Ozon, one of France’s most acclaimed directors, will open the festival with Peter von Kant starring Isabelle Adjani, a remake of a classic Rainer Werner Fassbinder movie.

Denis, one of seven women directors in competition, will premiere Both Sides of the Blade starring Juliette Binoche and Vincent Lindon.

Nagy will present Call Jane starring Elizabeth Banks and Sigourney Weaver about a group of abortion rights activists in 1960s America.

And Taviani, who won the Berlinale in 2012 with his late brother Vittorio with Caesar Must Die, will unveil Leonora Addio about the murder of a Sicilian immigrant boy in Brooklyn.

Indian-born American director M Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense) will head up the jury selecting the winners of the Golden and Silver Bear top prizes.

The festival will also award an honorary Golden Bear for lifetime achievement to French screen legend Isabelle Huppert.

Last year the Berlinale, which was staging a two-part hybrid event, awarded the top prize to Romanian pandemic-era satire Bad Luck Banging or Loony Porn.

MOST VIEWED

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement