Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - French Oscars academy promises reforms after row




French Oscars academy promises reforms after row

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The academy came under fire again at the end of last month after Roman Polanski’s film An Officer and a Spy’ topped the list of nominations for this year’s Cesar awards, due to be handed out on February 28. AFP

French Oscars academy promises reforms after row

France's Cesar Academy, which awards its version of the Oscars, was in crisis on Friday after its entire board resigned, overwhelmed by a series of rows that have infuriated both women’s activists and industry insiders.

The mass resignation came two weeks ahead of the their gala awards ceremony and just days after more than 200 leading film actors, producers and directors demanded “profound reform” of the industry.

“To honour those men and women who made cinema happen in 2019, to find calm and ensure that the festival of film remains just that, a festival, the board . . . has unanimously decided to resign,” the academy said in a statement.

“This collective decision will allow complete renewal of the board,” it added.

The move, which has been welcomed by feminist groups, follows weeks of controversy over the academy’s attitude to women and its lack of transparency.

In mid-January there was anger after the academy refused to let two young actresses invite their mentors, film-makers Virginie Despentes and Claire Denis, to a dinner organised to honour the up-and-coming actors. Despentes and Denis are outspoken feminists.

The academy came under fire again at the end of last month after Roman Polanski’s film An Officer and a Spy topped the list of nominations for this year’s Cesar awards, due to be handed out on February 28.

Growing pressure

Polanski is already persona non grata in Hollywood over the 1978 statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl. More recently he has denied new rape allegations from photographer Valentine Monnier, who says he raped her at his Swiss chalet in 1975.

France’s equality minister, women’s groups and some film critics condemned the inclusion of Polanski’s film on the Cesars’ shortlist. But president of the academy Alain Terzian said it could not be expected to take “moral positions” when evaluating films.

The open letter from leading film industry figures, published late on Monday in the French daily Le Monde, called for reform of the academy’s statutes, “which have not changed for a very long time”.

It protested that its 4,700 members had no say on how the academy, or even its awards ceremony, was run. It attacked its lack of transparency and the under-representation of women.

Signatories included many of French cinema’s brightest and best: actors Mathieu Almaric and Elodie Bouchez; directors Bertrand Tavernier and Jacques Audiard; and producer Michel Hazanavicius, who picked up the 2011 Best Picture Oscar for The Artist.

In response, Terzian announced reforms were on the way, including moves to remedy the under-representation of women.

In the end however, the growing pressure proved too much.

Thursday night’s statement announcing the unanimous decision of the board to resign said this would allow for a complete overhaul of the academy at a general assembly to be held after the February 28 awards ceremony.

French feminist groups had already demonstrated outside cinemas showing Polanski’s film. When it topped the list of nominations, they called for those with votes at the academy to snub the film.

And in an open letter to the press on Tuesday, they called for protests outside the award ceremony itself, in Paris’ Salle Pleyel auditorium.

On Thursday night, they were celebrating news of the board’s resignation.

“When we mobilise, things happen!”, feminist collective Nous Toutes (All Of Us) wrote on Twitter.

Another group, Osez Le Feminisme (Dare Feminism), said: “Imagine what’s next. A new voting panel without male self-confidence, opacity and sexism. Will we finally stop applauding rapists and paedophiles on the run?”

But feminist groups are still calling for the protests outside the Cesars ceremony to be maintained.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,