Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Istanbul in uproar over Galata damage




Istanbul in uproar over Galata damage

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The 67m Galata Tower that rises above the Golden Horn is an iconic and revered 14th-century symbol in the city. AFP

Istanbul in uproar over Galata damage

Cell phone footage of restoration workers drilling down the stone wall of Istanbul’s 14th-century Galata Tower created a political firestorm Wednesday and forced the culture ministry into a hasty retreat.

The iconic 67m structure overlooking the Golden Horn is a massive draw for tourists and an enduring symbol of Istanbul.

It was the ancient city’s tallest structure when completed by the Genoese in 1348.

But its future looked in sudden doubt when a press officer of the Istanbul city government tweeted a clip of two restoration workers taking apart a corner section of the tower’s inner wall with jackhammers.

A pile of large stones lay at their feet as they worked.

“It was really shocking to see this kind of vandalism being performed in the most important cultural site of Istanbul,” the city’s cultural heritage department director Mahir Polat said. “This conduct is insane.”

The 20-second clip became a social media sensation and made the tower a trending topic on Turkish Twitter.

Galata was already a source of tension between the city – whose mayor Ekrem Imamoglu is a prominent opponent of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan – and the Turkish culture ministry.

The ministry tried to take over control of the tower immediately after Imamoglu’s hotly disputed election last year.

The transfer was held up in court but formally completed in April.

Culture Minister Nuri Ersoy explained in his own tweet a few hours later that the workers were removing “parts that were added [to the wall] later on and that were damaging the Galata Tower”.

But he said that the workers responsible were reprimanded nonetheless.

“Regarding the techniques used in the restoration, the necessary sanctions have been taken against the relevant contractor,” the minister tweeted.

Ersoy’s deputy explained that the workers were transforming a part of the tower that used to house a restaurant into a museum.

But the city’s cultural heritage department director was unconvinced.

“It is inadmissable to see Istanbul destroy its treasures,” he said.

The tower is scheduled to reopen to tourists once the restoration work is completed on September 15.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped