Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ECCC appoints new Chea defence lawyer



ECCC appoints new Chea defence lawyer

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former top Khmer Rouge leader Nuon Chea during a trial hearing in Case 002 in 2012. ECCC

ECCC appoints new Chea defence lawyer

The Defence Support Section of the UN-backed Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) has appointed Doreen Chen as an international co-defence lawyer for top Khmer Rouge leader Nuon Chea, replacing Victor Koppe whose contract was terminated last month.

In November last year, the ECCC, also known as the Khmer Rouge tribunal, found 92-year-old Chea, who was second in command to Pol Pot and known as “Brother Number Two”, guilty of genocide against ethnic Vietnamese, the Cham Muslim minority and former officials in the previous Khmer Republic government. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Chen was Chea’s Senior Legal Consultant at the ECCC from 2014 to last year.

A human rights lawyer, the Australian national has an extensive range of legal practices behind her, such as representing persecuted human rights defenders and vulnerable communities in Asia, including before UN human rights mechanisms, and as lead prosecutor at the Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal on Myanmar, a Wednesday press release states.

“She co-founded and co-directs the NGO Destination Justice, which works on rule of law, access to justice and access to information in Cambodia and beyond, and is the coordinator for international law with the Free Rohingya Coalition,” it adds.

Chen will work alongside Cambodian co-lawyer Son Arun to represent Chea before the Khmer Rouge tribunal.

The Defence Support Section said they took into consideration Chea’s expressed preferences.

Chen could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

The appointment comes after Chea’s former defence lawyer Koppe was removed from the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia’s list in August last year.

The Cambodian Bar Association said Koppe’s membership of the Amsterdam Bar had expired since January 1, 2016. It said registering Koppe with the Cambodian Bar Association was therefore against the rules.

On December 14, the ECCC sent a letter to Koppe informing him of the termination of his legal services contract to represent Chea.

The head of the Defence Support Section, Isaac Endeley, told Koppe that his termination was effective as of December 11, but Koppe had until December 31 to complete the check-out procedure.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting