Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Assembly retrieving equipment from CNRP



Assembly retrieving equipment from CNRP

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A motorist passes the parked cars returned by CNRP lawmakers to National Assembly yesterday in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

Assembly retrieving equipment from CNRP

The National Assembly has started taking back any equipment, including cars and laptops, used by former opposition lawmakers in light of the party’s dissolution last week, a parliamentary spokesman confirmed.

The Cambodia National Rescue Party was dissolved on November 16 by the Supreme Court for allegedly attempting a so-called “colour revolution”, with government and provincial officials wasting no time to strip the country clear of any CNRP signage, while at the same time preventing elected officials from continuing their work.

Yesterday, National Assembly spokesman Leng Peng Long said that former CNRP lawmakers had been asked to return any kind of equipment or materials given by parliament, including cars, laptops and special licence plates.

“When they stopped [working], both the [lawmakers] and their assistants need to return the materials to the state for the people who are going to replace them,” he said.

He added that the Permanent Committee had decided to withhold 15 days’ worth of the former parliamentarians’ salaries.

Former CNRP lawmaker Cheam Channy said the refusal to pay them seemed to be a Labour Law violation, but added that assistants to lawmakers had already begun the process of handing over materials to the National Assembly, after receiving the directive on Monday.

“We have informed our secretaries to hand back the materials to the state and we are gradually handing it back,” Channy said, adding that around 60 percent of CNRP members had complied with the order.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through